Chapter 24 - 24th June 2017 - The Voice Finale

*Emma's pov*

A few weeks later, Jess and I were in Manchester getting ready for The Voice Live Finale. Whilst in Media City, we hadn't been able to spend much time together; Jess was whisked away as soon as we got there to her hair and make-up team before having to do some pep talks with her one remaining team member. My mind kept wandering as I flicked through the clothes in the wardrobe department. It took almost an hour to chose my entire outfit, usually it takes a maximum of ten minutes, but I really wanted to dress to impress. Things were slightly different this year: for the finale, they had all the contestants who made it through to the live shows come back and do one last group performance. I'd had a plan for this performance and managed to pull a few strings. The coaches had no idea what song we were performing, and keeping it from Jess had been challenging, but it was my idea to keep it a secret after all. I eventually chose a long, black silky jump suit, with a long V-neck. The jumpsuit pulled in at my waist and had pockets in the legs. There's only one thing that beats a jumpsuit, and that's a jumpsuit with pockets. To accompany the jumpsuit, I added black flats and silver jewellery.

You look stunning. Clair told me after I'd been glammed up. My makeup was light and natural, whilst my hair had just been straightened and my fringe trimmed.
Thank you. I thought back to her. I was glad to have Clair with me. I felt more nervous at this point than I did for my audition. My nerves were there for the same reason too: Jess' reaction.
Just go out there and do your thang gurl! Clair's wide grin spread across her face and I knew everything would be okay.
"Five minutes until show time." A show runner announced and slowly the room started filling with my ex-co-competitors.
"So this was your idea?" Elicia asked as she walked over to me.
"Yeah." I answered cautiously. I hadn't seen or spoken to Elicia after we had to redo our battle round because my dad fired a gun at us.
"Good luck with it." She answered with a small smile. "I'm sorry for how I was when we went for that coffee. I can see that you and Jess are actually really good together."
"Thank you!" I grinned. "It's okay though, you only knew what everyone else knew. I'm sorry my dad messed up the competition for you."
"It's okay, we can't help having dickhead parents. Plus I'm going to come back next year. I know I'm good enough." Elicia smiled.
"I know you are too. You'll have my vote." I smiled back. Even though, from what I remembered, Elicia had 'dickhead parents', I was fairly sure her father wasn't as much as a dickhead as mine was.

The coaches were introduced as they walked to their seats. We all got lined up in order of how we were going on stage. I was the last to join the song, only joining the last chorus, with everyone, and singing the last few lines by myself. We were singing Marry You by Bruno Mars and luckily, everyone got on well with the song choice. The chimes started playing, and one by one everyone walked onto the stage as they sang their lines.
You've got this babe. Clair told me and squeezed my shoulder as I started to walk on stage. As we all sang the chorus, I walked over to Jess' chair, grabbed her hand and pulled her up to the stage. Her face was full of confusion as she looked back to Danny, Tom and Will, who weren't being pulled onto the stage. I stood Jess centre stage as my solo came up.
"Is it the look in your eyes?
Or is it this dancing juice?" I sang to Jess. I looked into her eyes and it felt like there was no one else in the rom. The backing music had stopped. It was just me and my voice.
"Who cares baby," I got down on one knee and produced a small box from my pocket.
"I know I want to marry you." I opened up the box to reveal the 9 carat white gold ring that I bought two years previous. I looked up to Jess who had been stunned into silence. Her eyes were wide and her hands covered her mouth. Tears filled her eyes and she glanced at the audience. "I know you like to do these things privately, but I love you Jess. We're nothing without each other. Since getting back together we've always said we want to carry on as we were. Just over two years ago I asked our parents if I could marry you. Just over two years ago I went ring shopping with Danny and we found the perfect ring to make you mine forever. Two years ago to the day you left me. But I'm over that and I want to be with you forever. So please, will you marry me?" I bit my lip as Jess was silent for a little while longer before she started nodding.
"Yes!" She exclaimed with a grin. "Of course I will marry you!" I slipped the ring on her finger and kissed her deeply as we stood up. The studio erupted into cheers and Emma Willis quickly ushered us off the stage ready to go to an ad break.

I waited for Jess in her dressing room after the show had finished. Harris from Tom's team won the competition, so luckily, Jess didn't need to hang around too long after the show had finished. I sent her a text to let her know where I was. You were amazing babe! I knew you would be! Oh I can't wait for the wedding! Clair exclaimed as she quite literally bounced off the walls.
I can't believe she said yes! I answered her.
I can! Clair let out an excited squeal as Rose and Steve came into the dressing room. I had invited them to the show so they could've been there for the proposal.
"Oh, darling! Congratulations!" Rose gushed as she embraced me in her warm arms. I hugged her back and looked over to Steve.
"Thank you, mum." I grinned.
"We're so happy for you babe!" Steve said and I let out a breath. The last time I asked Steve if I could marry Jess was two years ago. I was relieved he hadn't changed his mind. "You've always been like a daughter to us, but I guess it's more official now."
"Ems!" Jess grinned as she ran into her dressing room and nearly knocked me over as she engulfed me in her arms. We didn't have chance to celebrate earlier.
"You said yes!" I buried my head into Jess' neck as we stood in each other's embrace for a while.
"Of course I did. I love you." She pulled away and looked into my eyes. I looked into hers and there was no hint of stress or worry like there usually was, just love and happiness.
"We're so happy for you girls!" Jess jumped as our mum spoke up.
"Mum! Dad! I didn't even know you were here!" Jess hugged them both.
"How could we miss this?" Steve said.
"I'm so glad you were here." Jess said and turned back to me looking at the shiny ring on her finger. The diamond in the shape of a heart glistened in the light as she moved her hand to get a proper look at it. "This ring is so beautiful. It's perfect. Thank you so much."
"It only took all day to buy it." Danny laughed as he walked in with Will and Tom.
"It was definitely worth it though." I said.
"I agree." Jess grinned.
"This deserves a celebration!" Tom said.
"Celebratory drinks at my place. Right now. Mr and Mrs. Cornish, you're invited too." Will suggested.
"I don't see why not." I grinned and looked up to Jess.
"Okay!" Jess grinned. "Go ahead, me and Emma will meet you there." I frowned a little, wounding why she wanted to keep me back.
"Okay, but no shenanigans!" Will winked before leaving with the other coaches and Jess blushed deeply.
"Mum, Dad, will you go and wait in the car? We'll only be a few minutes." Jess asked.
"Of course darling." Rose took Jess' keys from Jess and left with Steve.
"What's up?" I asked nervously when everyone had left.
"Nothing... I just... I want to ask you something."
"Go for it." I hoped I sounded confident.
"Why... why did you bring up two years ago?" Jess sat down and looked into her hands. I sat next to her and explained.
"Well, first, you weren't saying anything, or doing anything, so I was rambling. Second, I'm over it. I think it's important that other people know that we're over it, so they can get over it too. I love you so much, Jess. I just want everyone to know we're happy."
"I've been dreading this day." Jess admitted before looking up to me. "Last year it was all I could think about, but now... Now we have this to think about instead." A smile was starting to reappear on Jess' face.
"It's our engagement anniversary now, instead of our break up anniversary." I placed my hands on hers.
"We'll make it a good one." Jess leaned in and kissed me. "I love you too, by the way." She mumbled against my lips, before getting up. "Come on, we've got a party to get to."

We soon left and arrived at Will's apartment. I had never seen anything so modern and fancy. That night, we drank, danced and had fun with the people who meant the most to us. We were completely relaxed and could be our true selves. We had our future to look forward to, and it was looking bright.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: finally something happy! That hasn't been ruined!
Thank you to you all for reading and commenting and voting. It's good to know that people still like reading my writing.
See you again soon (hopefully)
Emma xx