Chapter 7 - 27th March 2017 - Rehearsing For The Battles

*Emma's pov*

Jess had us in for rehearsal on her birthday. I had thought she would've rescheduled them for a different day, but I guess Jess had her 'Jessie J' head on, as I would used to say.  A part deep inside me told me that it was because she wanted to spend her birthday with me but I knew that I was just winding myself up thinking that.

I bought Jess a birthday card but no individual present. To be perfectly honest with you, I had no idea what to get her. She has plenty of jewellery, plus jewellery  is more for couples than ex-girlfriends, and I couldn't just put a tenner in the card because she already had plenty of money. I played safe and organised a "Team Jessie" present and I was excited to see her reaction. We had sponsored a guide dog in her name with our money. I knew she'd love it; she'd be able to watch a puppy grow and train to be a fully trained guide dog, plus, it was also giving to charity, something I knew Jessie loved doing. Everyone in team Jessie had agreed to meet twenty minutes early in the rehearsal room, all of us knowing full well that Jess got there a good quarter of an hour early to make sure she was all ready for the rehearsal ahead of us. I really loved the enthusiasm and the passion she had for all of us to do well and learn something new.

Not long after Jenna arrived, she was the last of the team mates, Jess walked in and gasped being totally surprised that we were all there. "Surprise!" We all sung in a harmony we all arranged before hand. The look on Jess' face was priceless. She looked happier than I had seen her since we broke up and that made me feel good inside because it showed that my ideas can still make Jess the happiest woman on this planet.
"Oh my gosh! Thank you so much everyone." Jess thanked as her eyes scanned over the breakfast buffet we had created before Matt stepped forward and presented her with an envelope.
"So your present isn't much, in fact it only cost us one pound seventy five each," He chuckled, "but Emma said you would like it." Jess' head snapped up from the envelope she was studying at the mention of my name. I watched as her eyes searched the crowd of twenty four people before they met mine and she smiled only for me to blush and looked away.
"Well you guys know it's not about the money, money, money." She winked as she joked. "Whatever you have got me I'll always be grateful because I really don't deserve it." She smiled a little less and opened the envelope. I frowned a little but let her carry on. Whilst Jessie was still with Aaron I'd promised myself that I was not going  get emotionally involved with Jess, I knew Jess wouldn't cheat on him so it wasn't worth all the pain and heartache to even pretend that she would. I watched with pride as Jess' eyes lit up as she pulled out a glossy piece of paper, before reading the formally typed letter. She let out a soft "aw" as she studied the puppy on the picture. "You guys have adopted a guide dog for me? That's so adorable and thoughtful!"
"Tell us about your puppy then!" Somebody else shouted out.
"She's called Goldie and she's a golden retriever and she's only six weeks old! This is so cute!" She squealed excitedly. "This is the perfect present, thank you so much everyone. She grinned once more before putting everything back in the envelope. "I'm guessing this food is for us?" She asked and there was a collective murmur of yeses, "let's dig in then!" She ginned and started passing round plates.

Half an hour later we were all full up on food and had done our vocal warm ups as a group. Jess had decided that Elicia and I would be the last rehearsal of the day so we had around six hours to kill until our rehearsal with Jess. I suggested that Elicia and I should practice after going to get a coffee from Starbucks around the corner, which was her idea. We set off to Starbucks and got chatting about our lives and where we grew up. Having my fifteen minutes of fame as the heartbeat who stole Jess's heart and crushed it to a million pieces, meant that Elicia already knew quite a bit about me. I was fascinated by her story, she lived with her parents who were filthy rich, but despite all the money she was never happy. In her own words, they were 'way too snobby' and 'never let [her] have fun' and most of all they never let her sing, claiming it was a 'profession for those who are not smart enough to get a proper job'. She did what they wanted her to do and went off to Oxford and worked hard to get her Masters in biochemistry before getting a well paid job. She recently quit her job so she could do what made her happy and sing, and for that I admired her.

Whilst we ordered our Starbucks, you could easily tell that Elicia had plenty of money. She was dressed elegantly in smart casual clothes; high waisted, black jeans with a cream lace top and a long knitted cardigan. On her arm hung a Tom Ford handbag, and to pay for both of our drinks she brought out a matching purse. Elicia really did look the part, especially with her flawless make up and platinum blonde, boob length hair that was gently curled. She was beautiful.

"How do you connect to the song?" I asked as we sipped on our drinks on the way back to Media City. Jess had chosen "If You Could See Me Now" by The Script. Why she'd done that I'll never know. She knows exactly what the song is about and she must know that I try not to think of my dad as much as possible.
"I relate it to my ex-boyfriend. It's like saying, 'Yeah I still look for your face in the crowd but if you could see me now it's good thing that we split up'." She told me. "Why, are you struggling?"
"Yeah, a bit."
"Maybe you could relate it to Jess. I mean... You were together."
"Maybe..."
"You know it's all anyone ever talked about right?"
"What was?" I asked, feeling confused.
"The way you ended with Jess."
"Oh." I had no idea what to reply to that. Of course I knew everyone talked about it.
"Why did you do that? She's the sweetest person ever."
I hesitated before talking again unsure whether to still protect Jess. "I was only sixteen. Everything good that I'd had in my life had left me anyway. I was scared of the future and I was scared of commitment." I stuck to my guns and looks ahead as I told her what I'd told many people many times.
"That doesn't make sense."
I shrugged, "can we talk about something else now?" I asked and that's what we did until we arrived at Media City.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hours later Jess finally called us into the main rehearsal room. "I've been catching snippets of you two practising all day and it's starting to sound great!" Jess praised us as she gave Elicia a friendly hug before sharing an awkward hug with me that lasted way too long but I had the feeling neither of us wanted to pull away, I knew I didn't anyway. The feeling of being in Jess' embrace was too good to lose it again.
"Thank you!" Elicia grinned.
"I won't keep you long." She told us before walking over to the piano.

We rehearsed for half an hour with Jess giving us little tips and hints. She dismissed Elicia and kept me behind. "What's wrong?" She asked.
"Huh?" I asked confused.
"You don't like the song choice, do you?"
I looked into her eyes before answering with a simple, "no."
"Why not?"
"Because the meaning of the song is nothing that I believe in. You should know that."
"I chose this song for you because it can show off your rap style as well as your melodic style."
"And what about the meaning of he song Jess?" My voice grew louder the more I talked. Jess knew exactly how I felt about my father.
"I know it's a difficult one for you Ems but just swap it round. Make it about your mum."
My voice softened as my heart ached. Not only had Jess mentioned my mum, she's called me Ems, "right."
"Plus I thought it might put you on better terms with Danny." She added.
"So this song was all about me and not Elicia?"
"No of course not! Her voice is a perfect match for it too. It compliments her styles equally."
"But you could've chosen a better song... Like Nothing for example."
"Why would that be a better choice?"
"Because," I sang softly, "I wanted words but all I heard was nothing." I looked into Jess eyes briefly before she looked away and checked the time on her phone.
"I better go. Aaron will be waiting for me." She said monotonously.
"Right of course."
"I'll see you tomorrow Emma. Good luck." And with that. She left the building.

Something wasn't right between her and Aaron. She didn't look forward to going home to him, like she told me she could never wait to come home to me. They're not in love at all; they're in some sort of fake relationship. But Jess chose him and I'll let her make her own mistakes.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: FINALLY FINISHED THE CHAPTER! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY :D

I'm so sorry for the late update I've been super busy in school and I could on write a couple of sentences a week :/ but here it is and I hope you enjoy!

Thank you for reading, voting and commenting,

Emma xx

P.S at the top is Nothing by The Script, I can't believe it's 5 years old :O