Thirteen... A Famished Heart

The sensation of a feather against my cheek made me shudder awake.I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Troy's lips. He was lying so close to me that I could feel his breath on my hair and I was nearly sweating from his body heat. For some reason, his close proximity to me didn't bother me one bit. Instead,I wanted to bask in it, forever.

I missed this so much. I missed him. And for a moment I'd forgotten about everything. I felt the feather brush my cheek once more, then realizing that it wasn't a feather, but Troy's fingertips, slowly tracing circles that made my skin blaze. I inhaled, and closed my eyes at this, still feeling a bit groggy but a little more satisfied in this moment. Although, that satisfaction quickly ended when I tried to snuggle closer to him.

He hastily sat upright and made at least five inches of space between us.

" I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you." He blurted, embarrassed.

I sat up too, a little confused at his reaction." It's okay..." I bit at the corner of my lip, quirking my eyebrows in stupefaction. " Did I do something wrong?"

His expression went solemn and he opened his mouth to speak but I quickly shook my head and spoke first. " Never mind. It doesn't matter." I chuckled nervously and scooted out of my bed. "Thanks for bringing me home and stuff..."

Of course I was a fool to think that everything that he did for me today was because he wanted me back. Especially when he was the one who broke up with me in the first place. Even though it was really sweet that he brought me home , I still resented the fact that he broke up with me, yet I still loved him. He definitely was sending me mixed signals, too.

I was about to put everything out on the table when he abruptly spoke.

"Mel, I need to say something." His voice was cautious as shuffling noises came from him getting out of the bed. I turned to him, uneasy at what I was about to hear. " What I said at Mickey's, about me caring about you, I really do. "

"But...?" The twinge in his eye indicated that there was more to what he wanted to say and I wanted to hear it.

"But, " He sighed, and I realized I wasn't the only one who felt the pain of his next words." I can't be with you, Mel." He concluded,melancholy.

My mind had already prepared me for those words a year ago, when he had left me cold and dry on my birthday; however, my heart was what was stubborn. It kept wanting to search, to hold on to something. Anything. It was famished for any kind of love he could ever give me again. With these thoughts, I tried to hold back the tears and the lump that was inevitable.

Instead of responding, I turned to glare out of the window, my tears causing a blurry film over my eyes.

In the midst of all my thoughts ,his hand met my shoulder and I shook it off bitterly.

"Just go." I whispered, hoarse.

There was not going to be a replay of December 12th. I wasn't going to allow it.

"You misunderstood, Mel. I can't be with you... " He breathed into the back of my hair as he pulled me closer."...But I want to."

I blinked the tears away and watched as they dripped onto his forearm. " I don't understand."

" Trust me, Mel. It's better if you dont. "

" I want to know why." I demanded sharply as I sniffled.

There was a long,weary pause. So long and still that I could actually hear my heartbeat in my ears and feel his pounding on my back. I counted a total of eleven pulses until finally, he breathed hesitantly,"... Because you belong to someone else. "

My heart faltered at his words while my eyes grew wide. I forced his arms off of me at once and turned to back away.

"What did you say?" I asked, bewildered. Did I hear that correctly?

His forest eyes watched me closely and suddenly, he was looking at the floor shaking his head with the expression of regret stapled right across his face.

"Sh*t, I shouldn't have said that."He muttered under his breath. He pressed his fist to his lips and became nervous." I-I have to go." He started hastily out the door without another word.

I reached for him, but it was too late. The front door slam shut and he was gone.

A thousand questions ran through my mind at once, lingering on everything Troy had said and his actions up until now. In a matter of thirty seconds it clicked in my brain and I realized that Troy knew exactly what was going on.

And I was still in the dark, but not for long.

I knew exactly what I needed to do.

-----------------------

A/N :

Next Chapter update: In another 4 months! ( haha! Just kidding!)

For those of you who are really into my story, I cherish you guys. You're the reason why I try my best to keep going with this story. Everyone who has been asking me when the next update will be, well, here you are. The next update will be very soon because I have ideas for it. I was sort of on a blank as I wrote this chapter so my apologies that it took me so long, but anyways, I hope everyone who was waiting liked it!

Thank you for reading! Please feel free to Comment, Rate and Follow if you enjoyed this book so far. :) xo