fifteen : the professor's daughter

"Hello?"

"Hi, I got a call from this number. About my father?"

"Yes! Gabriela, I'm Mia. I'm your father's assistant at Hartfeld University, and--"

"'Assistant'? Don't tell me he asked you to contact me. Am I one of your assignments?"

"No! He hasn't asked me to do anything. Contacting you was my idea. I found a letter he'd started to write to you, and I had to find out why you weren't speaking..."

"You did, huh? I don't see how this is any of your business."

"It's not, really. But I've  gotten to know him because I've been helping him gather experiences for his book--"

"What?!"

"And he's been trying to talk to you for years. It's clear he loves you a lot--"

"That man doesn't care about anyone but himself and his work. Look, you need to stay away from him."

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't feel comfortable talking about this over the phone. Let's talk in person."

"Okay. I'll meet you. Name the time and place."

She gave me details on where to meet her. After hanging up, I summarized the conversation for James.

"...and so she wants me to meet her at some park in Greenfield tomorrow after lunch."

"She lives all the way in Greenfield? That's over an hour away."

"Yeah... I'll have to find a bus to take me there, I guess."

"I can drive you. We can head out after my morning shift with Vasquez."

"Are you sure? That'd be really nice, thanks."

"No problem. It's the least I can do after what you've done for me tonight. Besides, I'm very curious about what she has to say."

"You and me both."

...

The next day, I dropped by Vasquez's office to meet up with James. "Hi, Professor!"

"There you are... you're late."

"I am?"

"I was expecting that report from last night on my desk this morning.

"You were serious about me writing up the dinner with James?"

"Do I look like a person who 'kids around'?"

"Definitely not, but..."

"That's not her fault, Professor." James walked in, interrupting the conversation.

"I'm sure she can make excuses for herself. You're not her keeper, are you?"

"No, but... dinner with my parents ran late, so she wouldn't have had time to write it up. I take responsibility."

"I'll try to get it to you tonight." I said.

"Fine. So how did it go? Did Mia manage to impress the Ashtons?

"Mia doesn't have to answer that."

"James, go find me that file on 20th century fiction writers, would you?"

James lifted an eyebrow but left the office to look in Vasquez's room.

"Now, Mia. How was last night really?"

"Mrs. Ashton did say she was impressed with me, but she eventually found out we weren't engaged since James told her the truth, so it didn't matter in the end."