thirteen : the birthday girl (part 3)

An hour after the incident back at the club, I was sitting in the waiting room with my friends while nurses and doctors examined Kaitlyn.

"I can't believe this is happening." Zack said quietly.

"I know... everything was going fine, and then..." Abbie shook her head.

"This. I know. But honestly? Everything was not going fine. With everyone going their separate ways and leaving her to drink with no end on her birthday? Shit, you guys. It's messed up."

"What?" Abbie said, looking up from her hands and to me. "Don't try to blame us. We're all going through our own stuff and--"

"I'm not trying to blame anyone! I know about the stuff, and I know everyone's working through it, and college is hard enough without having to deal with all this stupid, unnecessary, and incessant drama!  I'm just saying we should've left it at the door for once and been there for and with her."

"Jesus, won't you guys just calm down? I doubt Kaitlyn would've wanted us to keep arguing like this." Zack interrupted.

"Yeah," Tyler agreed. "At least Chris found her. Otherwise..."

"Someone would've noticed her. But... yeah, I'm glad I found her when I did."

Becca ran her fingers up and down Chris's arm. "Aw, baby... you were so brave."

"Thanks, Becca."

"Becca, what the hell are you even doing here? You barely even like Kaitlyn," I sneered. Her superficiality was really getting to me, her need to prove to Chris she was good for him, a good person when needed.  A shoulder to cry on? Who did she think she was?

"You don't know anything about me, Mia. Sorry for trying to be nice, I guess."

She got up to leave and put a hand on Chris's shoulder. "See you later, babe? I'll take care of you."

"Right... see you later."

She strode out of the hospital, already whipping her phone out to update Madison.

"Good riddance." Abbie snorted.

"Come on, Abbie, she's... she's not that bad." Chris said.

"Keep telling yourself that... babe."

Chris gaped at Abbie, then started laughing. We all joined in, feeling relieved as some of the tension went out of the room.

"Damn." Chris said. "I've missed your attitude."

"Oh, believe me, I've got plenty more where that came from. But I'll try to go easy on you for Kaitlyn's sake."

Tyler stifled a laugh and caught Abbie's eye, making Leila frown.

"I think I'm going to leave. Hospitals creep me out." She stood up, grabbing her purse.

"Oh... okay. See you later?" Tyler asked her.

"Yeah, of course. Bye, Tyler."

"Bye!"

I sat in silence and looked towards the hallway in which Kaitlyn's room was closed off, biting my lip. James walked over and sat next to me.

"You've been pretty quiet." He said.

"So have you."

"Listen, Mia. I'm sorry about what I said back there. I was out of line."

"No, James. You were honest. I've been blaming Vasquez for ruining my life, but tonight I guess I ruined everything on my own."

"Don't be ridiculous. You're..." He paused. "Look. Everything I said earlier? I just said it cause I was hurt. I actually do have feelings, funnily enough."