Seven: Rush Week

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating, I was in Africa for awhile, and also busy with other things. Bear with me! I am STILL ALIVE and so is this story. Don't forget to vote by clicking the star at the bottom of your screen, and of course download CHOICES on the appstore to get the full experience. Thank you!!

...

"Hey, look, it's that barista guy Zack won't shut up about!" Kaitlyn said as we walked into the campus cafe. I looked to the counter and saw Zack's new crush helping out a customer, smiling and grabbing a cup.

"Not so loud, Kaitlyn!" I warned her as we pulled out chairs and took a seat. She giggled and Brandon looked up from grinding espresso beans. He walked over to our table with a charming smile.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I didn't hear you two come in." he said.

"Don't worry about it. We're used to being ignored." replied Kaitlyn. I shot her a look, surprised. That's depressing.

"Why do you say that?" Brandon asked.

"Our roommate Chris pulled a total disappearing act." Kaitlyn explained. "He's been spending way more time with his football buddies and these girls fromm Kappa house."

I bunched my lips to one side. That made sense.

"I know how that feels." Brandon said. "My ex left me for a guy on the water polo team. Now his whole Facebook wall is nothing but pics with him and his gym bros at frat parties."

He sighed, then gave us each a smile.

"Tell you what. When you're ready to order, I'll throw in two large cookies, free of charge. You look like you could use them."

"Thanks, Brandon." I said.

As Brandon walked back behind the counter, I felt a sympathetic pat on the hand. I turned back to Kaitlyn.

"You know, maybe it's good you have some space from Chris, Mia."

The door creaked open and a group of nraucous football players and Kappa girls streamed in.

"Barista. Iced coffee. Now, said an impatient Becca."

"You better not get anywhere near me with that thing." I said.

Becca turned to me and smiled gleefully.

"Mia, what a coincidence! I was just asking Chris about you."

Chris appeared next to her, tand did a double-take when he saw me.

"Oh! Hi, Mia. I didn't know that you were, uh--"

He sighed and recollected himself.

"I mean... do you want to sit with us?" he asked.

I was about to say no, but Kaitlyn smiled and talked for me instead.

"Sure, sounds like fun! We'd love to hang out with your new friends, right Mia?" she looked at me expectantly.

"Yeah, totally..."

"Oh... great! Yeah. Come sit with us." said Chris, visibly surprised by Kaitlyn's answer.

Hanging out with Chris's friends turned out to be a lot better than I'd expected. They were funny, full of stories and jokes. Chris and I were still pretty awkward, which really sucked. I looked over to him, but he was captured by Logan's story. I sighed and listened to him as well.

"...they said I was then first one who'd actually been able to eat the whole thing!"

The people around me laughed, so I laughed with them.