Chapter 21

The interior of Jisung's house was much the same as the exterior — a mix of modern and farmhouse style, with a warm, homey vibe to it. The living room was a wide open space, decorated with sofas and plants, ancient-looking paintings and amateur doodles hanging in equally grand frames. The walls were painted a faded green colour, and the floor and staircase were century-old fir.

There was a flash of movement, and suddenly two people were standing to the side of a stunning upright piano.

I'd met Dr. Bang before, but that was at the hospital, at his work. I could tell he was home now; he looked comfortable and relaxed, still confusingly handsome. Next to him was Haseong, I assumed — he was the only member of the family I hadn't seen before. He was gorgeous, with a sharp jawline and eyes that seemed to sparkle, even from across the room. He was dressed casually — jeans and a big sweater — and Chan was dressed very, very casually — a hoodie with a howling wolf emblazoned on the front.

"Minho," Jisung's voice broke the silence, "this is Chan and Haseong. Chan, Haseong — Minho."

Haseong took a step forward — careful, measured, like he was trying not to startle me — and held his hand out.

"Hi, Minho." His voice was like melted butter. "It's good to meet you."

"You, too." I shook his hand.

"Hi again, Minho," Chan said. He stepped up, and his boyish smile was instantly welcoming.

"Hello." I shook his hand as well. "It's nice to see you again."

"Is your head feeling better?"

"It didn't really hurt." Was that too informal? "Sir."

He waved the honorific away. "Chan, please."

I smiled, relieved. "Okay, Chan."

"What do you think of my hoodie?" he asked, pointing toward the wolf. I was about to answer when Jisung and Haseong groaned in unison.

"Sorry," Haseong said to me. "It's his favourite."

"He said he wouldn't wear it," Jisung added.

"That's all right," I said. "It's awesome, actually."

Chan threw a myriad of hand gestures at me — fingers snapping, hands clapping, finger-guns drawn — with an expression like triumph on his lovely face. I awkwardly returned it.

"Where are Felix and Changbin?" Jisung changed the subject.

Just as he said it, two figures appeared at the top of the staircase.

Felix careened over the railing, landing on the floor in a graceful blur, and walked up to us.

"Hey, Minho!" He took my hand from my side and shook heartily.

"Hi, Felix," I said.

"Sorry we didn't get a proper introduction on Friday." He smiled at Jisung. "Jisung is afraid of me."

Jisung closed his eyes and shook his head.

Before I could respond, Felix abruptly spun on his heels, joining the others. He threw his arm around Changbin's neck.

Jisung was still tense. I tugged on his hand, met his eyes and smiled. He smiled back, long-suffering.

"Hello, Minho," Changbin said in a rich, throaty voice. He nodded his head, but didn't step forward.

"Hey, Changbin," I replied. It didn't feel awkward. I felt calm, actually, and a stray echo of worry in my mind lifted. That was his power — he could control people's emotions, make them feel whatever he pleased. It was strange to know I was under the influence of vampire magic while it was happening.