Chapter 19

Jisung parked in front of my house, and the engine cut to silence. The absence of sound was total, save for the rain pattering on the metal roof. I didn't know what to do next; would he really leave as usual after everything that happened today? And yet, how could he stay?

"Are you thinking about what to do now?" I asked. I'd had my cheek resting on his shoulder, and now I pulled myself up and found his eyes.

"Um, yeah," he said.

"Do you want to come in? I'm hungry — you could awkwardly watch me eat."

He smiled as if that was exciting. "Sure."

We climbed out of the truck and met on the lawn. I held his hand, leading him to the porch.

I unlocked the door, flicked on the light, and we stepped over the threshold. I pushed the door closed with my foot — took his hand again — and showed him into the kitchen. He'd probably been here before, but he was still hesitant, looking around as if he was just a guest, with his free hand stowed away behind his back.

He leaned against the wall as I took cereal and a bowl out of the cabinet, and milk from the fridge. I was too impatient to heat up something solid; he was here with me, in my house, and I could think of a thousand things I wanted to do with him instead of this.

I shook Cheerios into the bowl and started on the milk. From the corner of my eye, I saw him take the cereal box and return it to cabinet for me. He examined the counter for a second, and then opened a drawer — and another, and another.

"Are you looking for spoons?" I asked.

He nodded grudgingly.

"This one — over here."

"You have too many drawers." He walked around me and rifled through the utensils. He found a spoon, held it up, and I plucked it from his hand.

I was about to sit down when the phone rang. I looked at Jisung; he smiled and said it was okay. I set the bowl on the table and ran to answer the call.

"Hello—?"

"MINHOOOO!"

It was Jessica, screaming over blaring music. I could practically smell the alcohol over the phone. She burst into a fit of giggles that seemed to harmonize with the bass in the background.

"Minho, we're at the dance!" she said. "I look like a fairy! Mike is doing the worm!"

"And I'm amazing at it!" I heard Mike yell.

"Jess, give me the phone," Angela's slightly more stable voice said.

"Minho, how the hell did it go with Jisung?" Jessica asked then. "I wish you gays — GUYS — were here right now!"

I laughed. Jisung dropped his face into his hands.

"It was great. Jess, are you drunk?"

"Tyler snuck beer in! I drank so much!"

"Is there anyone to drive you home?"

"Boo! Nobody cares! Mike, do you care?"

"Hells to the no."

"Is Jisung there with you, Minho?"

I waved Jisung over. He glared at me and reluctantly stepped up.

"Hi," he said into the receiver.

"JISUNGGGG!"

"Leave them alone, Jess," Angela said. There was a series of muffled thumps and a high-pitched scream, and then Angela said, "Everything's fine."