29. An Eye for an Eye

       Sutton woke me up in the middle of the night for my shift. I hoped I lasted long, because despite the temperature decrease, I got a decent amount of sleep. Sutton retreated back up into the tree once she knew I was up and alert. Once she was settled in, she was out.

            The wind roared above me, biting into the tree branches above. I bet Sutton wasn’t getting much sleep with the wind. It was passing over me so I didn’t feel extremely cold like she did. I wouldn’t be surprised if the temperatures rose to a dangerous high in the morning and lasted throughout the day. If the Gamemakers wanted to make the Games tougher, fluctuating the temperature during the day and night was a good start.

            The wind was the only thing I heard in this jungle. I heard no paws of wild dogs or muttations trying to be silent in their stalking, nor did I hear the flesh-eating monkeys howl. I bet the wind shut them up, or it was just so loud I couldn’t hear the monkeys complain.

 I couldn’t remember how many days we had been out here in the arena. All of them blended into one, like a never-ending weekend. For all I knew, we all could have been here a month and never have known it. Just hope it hasn’t been that long, I thought.

            I drummed my chipped nails against the ax’s metal blade. It was quiet enough, so I knew it wouldn’t echo, attracting attention to myself. I really considered leaving Sutton only to go hunt for Jillian, but I couldn’t once again. Sutton would probably either go after me, getting lost herself or killed. I didn’t want to be responsible for that. Or I’d go insane if I never found that murderer. I’d probably die of insanity. If it wasn’t possible, it would be then.

            A snap of a twig made me flinch. I looked around in the dark. I kept my breathing quiet, gripping my ax. I didn’t stand up just yet. My heart was racing, just dying to relax. Whatever it was that made that noise, it had better go away soon. If not, I’d probably go hunting for it, either bravely or stupidly. Most likely both.

            “No need to go on the offense,” said a familiar voice. “It’s just me.”

            I nearly fainted from shock. No, he’s not still alive. He’s dead. He died in my arms. I’m dreaming. He couldn’t be brought back to life, nobody could. If that had been the case, my mother would be living in District 7 with my father, and all of the fallen tributes would still be in the arena.

            I knew I wasn’t dreaming because I pinched myself, and I flinched. A shadow stepped closer to my area. There was no mistaking him for his brother; the way he looked could distinguish him enough. He looked the way he had before he died: severely burned and weak, yet he was able to stand.

            “W-what is this?” I whimpered, scrunching against the tree tighter. “Go away.”

            “I can’t hurt you, Bri.”

            “I have to be dreaming. I didn’t pinch myself hard enough.”

            “No, this isn’t a dream,” Dan assured me.

            “Did the Capitol create you? Are you the Gamemakers’ work?”

            “I’m not that either.” I could take his word for it. “Do you mind if I get closer? Unless you’d rather have me leave…”

            “No, don’t. Trust me, I won’t scream or anything, though the time should really call for it. I’m lucky I’m even talking right now,” I said in a small voice. Daniel lumbered over to me and sat beside me on the grass. “Why are you here?”