18. Predator and Prey

       I couldn’t believe I was saying it, but I had actually gotten a good amount of sleep. I had no nightmares shockingly, which meant a lot considering I saw a person hanging dead above me not too long ago. That person had had a grudge against me, and I killed her. I didn’t feel happy about it for the most part, but there was a small part of me that did like it. After all, I didn’t have to worry about her anymore. However, I would have to deal with Noah, Eric, and/or the entire Career pack if anyone knew who had really killed Kaya.

            Just because I got a good amount of sleep didn’t guarantee me feeling all comfortable when waking up. My limbs ached, and I had a slight headache. I was still nestled against Daniel. I sighed quietly. Dan’s chest vibrated with a chuckle.

            “You’re awake finally,” he mused.

            “Finally?” I yawned. “What time is it?”

            “I don’t know, but judging by the light shining through the cave entrance, the sun’s been out for a while.”

            “You never left me?” I looked up at him.

            “Why would I do that, Bridget? I’m not stupid. What if a tribute, say—one who wanted to kill you—”

            “That’s every tribute,” I sang.

            “Not true, because of Sutton and me,” Dan corrected me. I grimaced; I hated when he was right. “But what if someone found out you were here alone?”

            “I’d fight them off with my hatchet.”

            “Say I took the hatchet with me.”

            “Are you trying to make me die in this situation?”

            “I’m just laying out all the possibilities,” he said defensively. “The point is, I wouldn’t leave you by yourself, whether you’re armed or not. We’re in this together, you and me.”

            I was glad Daniel was focused on that goal still, because I was becoming paranoid about the Career pack and Noah out for my blood. I knew they didn’t know who killed Kaya, did they? I bet they’d all like nothing more than to stab me in the heart or break my neck with a smooth, swift twist. I shuddered. Even though neck breaking was a quick death, it was horrible to watch. I had never seen it happen, but I had a feeling it was a rough thing to watch.

            “So…are we going out hunting today or what?” I asked, sitting up. My neck was stiff; I flinched when I tried to move it. I was afraid to move it because it hurt, so I didn’t try my luck again.

            “Sore neck?” Dan sat up as well.

            “Yeah,” I squeaked, rubbing it.

            “Let me. Tell me if I hurt you.”

            “I know you won’t hurt me, even if it’s doing something so harmless like this.”

            Dan went to work on the kinks in my neck. At one point, he made it worse, but I didn’t show him I was in any pain. I didn’t want him to feel like he was hurting me. Despite how sharp the pain felt, I kept my body language neutral and tried not to fidget.

            “There weren’t any deaths today, were there?” I asked him. “Oh…right there.” I tilted my head back, my shoulders slumped. Dan had hit the right spot.