XXIII: the end of beginning

Ah, her home. Her beautiful home. Lyra was finally home.

So why wasn't she feeling like that?

She stood in front of her magnificent Manor, breathing in the familiar smell of mint and lime; she wasn't sure if she missed it.

It took almost every ounce of strength Lyra had to open the door and enter the cold hallway. The house had many memories carved.

Everything stayed the same, except for the atmosphere; the tension and haste made its way into every corner of her home. Lyra understood that Harry Potter once again messed up Voldemort's plans with simply surviving.

It was overwhelming, all of it. The duty, the loyalty, the heartbreak — it all crashed down on her at the same time. Katherine's family, the Selwyns, decided to move once the battles started — but  they didn't realize that they have been going whole time, that there were clearly battles between life and death.

Ruelle and her family, however, decided to strike at its best; William Travers was a loyal man since the family Travers has always been supporting dark wizards. And the thing Lyra feared the most happened — Ruelle became a fanatic Death Eater.

Lyra knew the exact reason why Ruelle was chosen; she was swift and unpredictable, and a very capable witch. The Travers's were a lonesome family, a family consisting only of father and daughter. Voldemort knew they didn't have many friends, maybe two or three including the Lestranges and Malfoys. So he chose Ruelle, well aware that if she died during her quest, she would not be missed. Her father was, either way, a man fully devoted to Dark Arts who wouldn't dare betraying even if his precious girl died.

Sprinkles wasn't by her side anymore and she guessed that she ran away to kitchen, fearing the wrath of her father. Bellatrix never really cared about elves.

The Manor in Newcastle wasn't home to Bellatrix — it was more to her husband and Rabastan since they grew up here. It was an odd home, and it was always painfully empty, due to Lestranges' imprisonment and Lyra's new life at Malfoys'.

On some occasions, Lyra would even visit Manor, to be left alone to wander around. As a child she liked it, but as she turned into a girl and woman, the years came together with loneliness, and Lyra hated that part of her so much that she buried it deep and never thought of it again. Nevertheless, she did not know that the forgotten pieces of her would be explored by a red-haired wizard with big ambitions.

The door behind Lyra creaked. There was a cold, shrill voice, filling the room and echoing of the hollow walls.

''What do you think you're doing? I sent everyone away hour ago.''

Is it possible that my own mother doesn't recognize me?, Lyra thought as her mind swirled with questions what should she do. Unbelievable.

Lyra turned around slowly. For a long time, neither of them spoke. The silence was suffocating to her, she didn't know how would her mother react. Is she going to yell? To be angry? To simply leave the room? To cry? No, she wouldn't go that far. But is she going to be happy or confused —

''I thought you were dead.''

Ouch, Lyra thought, striken at the sentence. Dead? Did she really think Lyra couldn't defend herself? Was she still finding her a child?

''I —  no — I'm not dead.'' Lyra staggered forward hastily, but her mother made no move. Bellatrix had a surprised expression on her face, but there was no love or affection. . . .it was almost empty. The woman seemed shocked at the fact that she's alive (and not really well, judging by the way she appeared).

There was a moment of stillness in the room, and then Lyra felt the familiar scent of lemon flooding her face as arms wrapped around her waist. She missed her more than anything, and even though she knew Bellatrix was a merciless and cruel witch, she still was her mother, a woman who brought her into this world, and Lyra held deep respect for her.

And above all, Lyra realized that home doesn't have to be a place. It can be a person whose arms felt like the safest place in a world.

   And that was exactly how Lyra Lestrange felt at that right moment.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

                             End of the first part of story

Thank you everyone for reading! This is just Act I and, of course, the story will be continued. If you have any advices, comments or feedbacks, I'd gladly like to hear them (no hate, pls). I want to say a couple of facts if someone didn't get something right.

Lyra was born on 9th of October 1979. She is currently 17 years old, while Fred and George are 18 years old.

The Lestrange Manor is located in Newcastle and Malfoy Manor in Wiltshire.

In the book, it is said that Bellatrix just has thick, black, shiny hair but I kind of like the idea of her with curls, so in this FF Lyra and Bellatrix both have curls.

Ruelle Travers is her best friend and the one she trusts the most.

Just because some characters are not mentioned, it doesn't mean they are forgotten.

The Battle at Department of Mysteries is slightly different, since I really didn't want to write the whole battle. I hope you understand.

                                                                                                                                   This is just the end of beginning.

                                                                                                                                                                               Thank you!

I'll start writing again in September. Meanwhile, my other story will be published! Please, give it a chance, read and vote! Thanks.