chapter XII: fred

His head hurt, but it was alright; he would survive it, he always does. But what ached him more was the hole she left several nights ago. It was just supposed to be an innocent game with alcohol, but Lyra Lestrange did something with him and his feelings were not feelings anymore, but a collapse of his whole head, heart and body. Fred was thinking with his feet and walking with his eyes — the whole day George talked to people that wanted to talk to his twin and made them think he was sick or something.

''Listen, I really — I honestly and really have no idea what she has done to you, but you need to be that old Fred you were three days ago.''

''I am. Party was on Friday. Today is Monday.'' Fred said and hid a quick glance to the Slytherin table where she was sitting with that pig Nico she came with. Why were they laughing? ''I'm just worried about giving her her wand.''

''Why, for God's sake? You can just send Angie to go give her.'' George complained and when he caught Angelina's stare, his cheeks became a slightly darker shade of red.

''Oh, no,'' Angelina said, picking an apple and biting into it. ''I'll let the lover solve his own problems.''

Even the jokes and teasing didn't make Fred feel like before. Lyra Lestrange barely opened up a door to her heart and now, when Fred finally thought they could be at least friends, Lyra wouldn't even look his way. It wasn't just that — the usual hatred of seventh year Slytherins was gradually increasing as the days passed and he had slowly started to suspect that it was something he did. She really was a mess.

''Oh, no — Oh, Fred — I'll see you in hell — ''

''You know, Weasley, for a split second I thought you could be nice, but I realized you were a lying bastard.''

Her Welsh accent was so strong and weird-sounding that he didn't even have time to turn around before he saw green eyes piercing him and everything around him. Ruelle Travers was holding his wrist in an odd angle and he was sure he heard a snap, before she stormed out of the Great Hall, leaving the audience in shock. She was short and small unlike him, but he knew better that Death Eaters had taught their children spells other witches and wizards couldn't even imagine. Travers. . .her father escaped Azkaban with Lyra's mother. . .

''Revenge is a dish best served cold? Really?'' she hissed and her wand was slowly being raised higher and higher. ''I'll make your life living hell.''

''What are you talking about, woman?''

''YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, YOU LYING, DISGUSTING — ''

''Ruelle, I can take it from here.''

Oh, no. This day couldn't be worse.

''No need, I can kill him and make his body disappear in a — ''

Ruelle's hands were making very vulgar gestures and Lyra shooed her away before she could show another example of Fred's death. For a moment he thought he was saved and then he saw the fury in her eyes, and he knew he was going to be dead before the class starts. At least, no Snape today. . .

''For such a handsome and kind guy, you truly are the biggest idiot out of all Weasleys.'' she said calmly, but a fire brighter than in their common room burned in her dark eyes. In Andromeda's eyes.

''What is everyone talking about?!''

Did she say handsome or did I hear wrong?

''Oh so now you don't know?'' Lyra snapped and he saw her hand move towards the pocket in her robes and then was when he realized. Lyra was here for her wand.

''No! I was drunk! I don't remember anything!''

Well, that was a big lie. He remembered everything — starting from her cherry lips to the conversation about her mother and her wand to her tears that may have dried, but they still left a trace. Fred remembered. How couldn't he? She was a girl who can't be forgotten and not because of her name, but because of the aura that screamed damaged, don't go near. That was, probably, what dragged his heart towards her.

''Nothing? Absolutely nothing?'' she stepped closer and squinted her eyes at him, only this time the warmth disappeared and suspicion and her walls replaced it. It wasn't the same girl from several nights ago.

''Nothing, I swear.'' Fred said and his heart was suddenly beating more louder, and he swore Lyra could hear it for a small smirk appeared on her face.

''Well, then. . .'' she started and glanced towards Katherine who was just passing with a Ravenclaw. ''Revenge is a dish best served cold?''

''I don't know? Is it?''

The smirk, the spark in her eyes and her tone of voice changed in a matter of seconds and she snarled at him with such brutality that he thought she was going to hurt him. In all her paleness, Lyra looked so similar to Bellatrix and Fred could not help but wonder if her mother had been so beautiful when she was younger. Did she break hearts? Or throw curses?

''I'll kill you, Weasley, if you even blink in my direction. The message was clear enough for me and we'll see if it was for you.''

''What message?!'' he said.

''Give me my wand or you'll regret it.''

He took out the wand out of his back pocket and put it in her hands as their fingertips brushed together, and a rush of memories of that night flew in, knocking over his stability. Fred Weasley was damned and this girl had his heart. But Lyra didn't think so. She took several steps back and flinched when they touched, gripping her wand tightly. No, she wasn't afraid, yet it was some type of fear — of love or of him, he did not know.

''My mother is a better person than you.'' she spat and with that sentence, turned around and stormed off, her hair being the last thing he saw before something rang a bell in his mind.

. . .revenge is a dish best served cold, Fred. . .

. . .revenge is the only way, honey. . .

It didn't take him long. This time he had a particular person on his mind, and she was sitting right across him in Charms, in a Hufflepuff robes with a hatred towards the particular Lestrange.