chapter X: lyra

The room was dimly lit, but Fred Weasley was glowing with colours which names she didn't know. They had been sitting for some time and the pillows that were comfortable long time ago were now barely making them feel for the alcohol had taken over their minds. Fred's hair of fire was messy and his brown eyes were soft and quiet as he drunkenly laughed at her bad jokes. Her hair was a mess of her own but her eyes were still cautious. There can never be too much caution, that was the way of her ancient grandmother.

''Okay, I've got one.'' he chuckled then relaxed himself. ''My ex still misses me.''

''And?'' Lyra asked, aware that the topic of ex lovers was officially opened.

''But her aim is improving.''

''Oh my God, Fred.'' she shook her head, laughed and couldn't help herself but let the bitterness in her heart. This all seemed so wrong — this careless laughter that made her feel like there were no worries waiting, the tickling and teasing, all those easy things Lyra had never really allowed herself — they all seemed so wrong. ''This is the worst one by now.''

Fred lifted his head and an amused expression filled his face before he shot out a question. Oh, how I wonder if he will remember this. No, he won't, a voice of reason spoke and shooed away the worry.

''How many worst exes have you had?''

The question was so well-constructed and so innocently asked, but Lyra knew that under that mask hid curiosity. Fred Weasley might have not been prying before, but now he was desperate to find out something more. He didn't know anything — her secrets were in her kingdom, buried and hidden, never to be discovered.

''Ah. . .'' she said and her hawk-like eyes watched him as his bravery disappeared behind all that alcohol. ''That is a rather personal question. If I answer it, I must ask you too then.''

''I — well, if you insist. . .''

''I've had no exes, Fred.'' Lyra sighed and rubbed her eyes. The alcohol had gotten to her and the feelings that she hid away years ago were on surface, floating and vulnerable. And Lyra didn't like feeling vulnerable. ''I don't really let myself feel things.''

The answer hadn't taken him aback. If only I do, she thought to herself. His face was a mixture of feelings, all of confusion, fear, maybe even pity or sympathy were there, waiting. Why was he making her feel something? Love it was not, for she couldn't say the word without thinking of him, and a crush. . .yes, it was a crush. Katherine said you should enjoy his company, think of him. . .and kiss him. No, not kiss. She doesn't even know if she enjoyed his company.

''Let's dance.''

''What?''

''Let's dance.''

Oh, so that was the game they were playing; he would ask questions and she would answer, only to have him at the end avoid her questions to him. Even in a drunken state, Lyra could show her anger to him. She didn't. Fred was staring at her as his swaying hand was reaching out to her as if her furrowed brows didn't give away the upcoming storm.

''The one thing I will remember tomorrow is my question. Got it?''

He nodded and his crooked grin pulled her into his arms as the famous hit Lullaby came next. Of course, Lyra wanted to scream the lyrics out of her lungs, but Fred Weasley's arms seemed to be safer. He was warm and smelled of cinnamon, but also of alcohol that desperately brought the memories of drunken Lucius screaming at five year old Draco. Fred was a walking nostalgia to her, the love her aunt and uncle had, the family he lived in, he was everything she wasn't — he was a clear, blue sky and she was a thundering storm.

''Never thought I'd have a bloodtraitor wrap his arms around me.'' Lyra said and before he had the time to react, he felt a wet spot form on his chest. Lyra Lestrange was crying and his arms were her home.

''You are a sinner, Lyra.'' he chuckled, tipsiness drowning her tears.

''Oh,'' she whispered. ''But gods don't sin, Fred.''

And with that, with that last sentence in the air, she crashed her lips on his and made herself feel what she didn't allow herself.