46. THE DREAM

To begin my usual A/N before the chapter, some folks have asked for some *cough* smut *cough*it would not be in this book, but a separate book, but let me know if you guys want it. I already started writing one for this book (not sure how good it is cause I've never done it before) but if not enough people want I won't post it. (Not a threat lol just need a lot of support to push me through it)

Anywho hope you enjoy this chapter, love you all and all your sweet comments uwu truly one of the best things about writing is seeing all the comments

*highly recommend you listen to Annies Song by John Denver when Nat mentions it**

and yes I am really stretching out these nice parts, oh well, we all deserve it.

not edited

_____________

When lunch finally rolled around, and thank God it did, cause Natalie was about to pull her hair out. She decided to visit Joyce down the street since they both loved looking through wedding planners together.

"Hey! Natalie!" Steve said from the front of the clinic, "so I've got some bad news."

Natalie frowned, "what's up?"

Steve stuffed his hands in his scrub pockets, "my dad wants me to work at the mall now full time. He says this job is too cushy and I need to learn my place or some shit like that."

Natalie's face softened and she gave Steve's shoulder a squeeze, "I'm sorry, just know you can come back anytime. You're really smart Steve, try not to get too upset about not going to college in the fall. Everyone has a different path in life and it isn't always a straight shot, yeah? Keep your head up."

Steve smiled and suddenly gave Natalie a hug, "thanks Natalie, you're honestly the best."

Natalie gave him a warm smile, "thank you, Steve."

Steve smiled and gave her a wave as she walked out the door. Natalie pinched the bridge of her nose as she walked to Joyce's store trying to fend off another headache that was just starting. She raised an eyebrow when she spotted Jim's car next to Joyce's, what was he doing there?"

Natalie quietly opened the door to see Jim pacing back and forth in front of Joyce, reciting something. "What are you doing?" Natalie asked as she approached them.

"Oh thank God you're here, you can talk to them, they listen to you," Jim said and shoved a crinkled paper in her hands.

Natalie looked at his scribbled words and her lips twitched in amusement, "so we can build an environment where we all feel comfortable and trusted and open," she read aloud, "I didn't know you wrote shitty poetry J."

"Shut the hell up, Nat, can't you see I'm stressed out!" Jim said, his voice pitchy as he threw his hands up, "that smug son of a bitch, Mike is corrupting El."

"That's a little extreme don't you think?" Natalie said, egging him on.

Joyce laughed from next to her, twisting her engagement ring on her left hand. A new habit that Natalie noticed that Joyce did.

Jim glared at her, his eye beginning to twitch, "I might kill him, I really might. No one would know, I'm the Chief of Police. If anyone could cover up a murder it would be me."

Natalie raised her eyebrows, "wow, I think you should sit down big guy, you might blow an artery if you keep your blood pressure too high," she teased.

Jim narrowed his eyes, "are you calling me old?"

Natalie shrugged and then turned towards the front door when the bell chimed. Joyce almost jumped for joy, "a customer!" she shrieked and raced towards the old woman in the front of the store.

Natalie turned around to see Jim right in front of her and he grabbed her hip tightly, "you've been mouthing off quite a bit lately," he said his voice low and deep.

Natalie shivered, which caused Jim to smirk, and then patted his chest, "hmm gonna write me a note too then?"

He grinned, "I might just do that."

"I look forward to reading it then," Natalie said and smoothed down his wild hair, "okay I've got a wedding to plan, no more procrastinating."

Jim nodded, "hey, I said I would help you, so what can I do?" he asked as he sat down next to her while Natalie pulled out a flower catalog.

"I really only need to figure out the flowers and the music and then we're done."

Jim let out a breath, "wow, it's close."

"I was thinking Annie's Song by John Denver would be good to dance too," she said, ignoring his comment while pulling out a pen to circle flowers she liked.

"John Denver?" Jim said and wrinkled his nose.

Natalie looked up at him, "you haven't even heard the song. The man is a musical genius, like, he took my two favorite things country and nature and smashed it into a song."

"Country? Like country music or the place?" Jim asked as he rested his chin on her shoulder watching her flip through the flower catalog.

"Yes, country music you dingus. Remember I was born in Texas before moving here. Plus I've always wanted to live on a ranch with cows, horses, chickens, the whole thing. Have that really nice ranch house with the wrap around balcony, a little garden. I mean what a great place for a kid to grow up in, El would love it. That's really the dream right there."

Jim's heart swelled as he listened to her talk, he truly loved her with every fiber of his being. Subconsciously his hand on her thigh traveled to her stomach and Natalie stopped talking.

"What are you doing?" she asked, her eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"Just thinking," he replied, his voice soft.

Natalie flushed, "okay, listen I've been eating a lot of ice cream from stress so-"

Jim's eyes widened, "are you kidding me, you are literally the smallest person I know besides Joyce," he paused before speaking again, "I was thinking about kids," he admitted, his eyes a little misty.

Natalie blushed and placed her hand over his on her stomach, "hmm that would be nice."

______________________

HAHA I'm not crying!! :,-)))