Ch. 26: Tea up at Sussex Hall

"Expectations" (Book 2)--Ch. 26: Tea up at Sussex Hall,
July 07, 2019 by Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1244; and Wattpad)

[an original Regency romance copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace, 2018 - 2019; all rights reserved); [(1) story cover art, left]

[As is my custom, from time to time I will illustrate my story with my ideal cast consisting of (in order of importance/mention in this chapter): Lord Robert Knightsbridge the Marquess of Wyre (portrayed by Hugh Grant); his father and mother the Duke and Duchess of Lancashire; Lady Gwendolyn Lindsay of York (portrayed by Emma Thompson); Lady Gwendolyn's and Lord Alfred's parents the Duke and Duchess of York; Lord Alfred Lindsay the Marquess of Malten (portrayed by David Oakes); Lady Constance Knightsbridge Lindsay the Marchioness of Malten (portrayed by Margaret Clunie); and their young daughter Lady Tamsin Knightsbridge Lindsay (portrayed by Francesca Capaldi)]

Author's story content and serializing scheduling notes: For the most part, my ratings for the chapters will be PG-13—for romantic interludes and dramatic moments. If you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with these ratings, then please do not read that chapter. This is my disclaimer. And I always put the previous chapter's brief recap at the top of the next chapter. Also, I hope to post new chapters weekly on Sundays or Mondays. I hope that you enjoy this chapter. And I will have another chapter up around Wednesday of this coming week as well.

Ch. 26: Tea up at Sussex Hall

Still reeling from his bobbing for apples at the Sussex Village Faire failure, Lord Robert Knightsbridge the Marquess of Wyre—and heir to the Duke of Lancashire—bounds up the steps of their guest home for the Summer of Sussex Hall Manor [(2) above], which actually looks more like a castle due to the many additions over the centuries. His intention is to immediately dry off, freshen up, and attire himself in dry clothes. He will be thwarted in that vain hope.

Butler: The Butler bows Lord Robert into Sussex Hall. "My Lord Wyre, your father the Duke of Lancashire wishes to speak with you before tea today." With two Dukes in residence at Sussex Hall—the other being the Duke of York—the Sussex Hall Butler naturally emphasizes which ducal father is the requestor.

Lord Robert: "Thank you for the information. I will freshen up then see him directly. Where is the Duke?"

Butler: "The Billiards Room, My Lord. He said it was urgent and requests your presence immediately upon your arrival—his words."

Lord Robert: "Of course." Lord Robert nods resignedly and changes direction. His Father Duke is nothing if not commanding, and with his expectations usually acceded to.

And Lord Robert wonders what his Father Duke wants now. His sister Lady Constance Knightsbridge Lindsay has finally assumed her rightful place as the Marchioness of Malten with the return of her long lost husband Lord Alfred Lindsay the Marquess of Malten. And he thinks that surely their family will enjoy this happy turn of events for some time. Though the Duke of Lancashire is not one known to be content for long. And there is the matter of the Lancashire succession to be resolved.

At the threshold of the Billiards Room, Lord Robert hears a distinct crack of a ball being hit. There he finds his Father Duke alone.

Lord Robert: He bows. "Father Duke. You requested to see me when I arrived back from the Sussex Village Faire."

Duke of Lancashire: He looks upon the slightly disheveled appearance of his only son had heir. "Boy! Did you fall into the river? You should have cleaned up before attending me."

Lord Robert: Raising a knowing eyebrow, Lord Robert [(3) above] maintains the expected placid expression. "The Butler conveyed to me that your request for my immediate presence superceded my desire to look presentable."