"Maybe we do." Clarke felt the waves of sorrow and realization roll over Lexa.

Lexa knew that the only way she would owe nothing more to her people would be through death. She was pledged to her people and only death could remove a Commander from her throne. Clarke knew this also but they both held onto each other anyway. Maybe things could change, maybe they would be allowed to live the life they were both longing.

"Clarke, I can change things." Lexa felt that Clarke knew she was bound to the throne until death and she was right. "Blood must have blood. We changed that. To be commander is to be alone, we can change that too."

Clarke nodded against Lexa's chest, "I believe we can." She felt Lexa sigh deeply as her arms wrapped around her waist. "I know we can."

Lexa sat back onto the bed and began to dress herself, "Back to reality for now." She gave Clarke a sad smile.

"Your people need their Heda, be that for them." Clarke pulled her pants up and began fumbling with her belt, "We have the rest of our lives to worry about us."

"Till death do us part."

Clarke looked at Lexa surprised, her face scrunched into an expression of confusion.

"I asked Raven about your people's marriage customs." Lexa offered a warm smile as Clarke stood frozen at the edge of the bed.

"Clarke." Lexa grabbed both of Clarke's hands in her own as she got onto one knee in front of her.

"Lexa..." Clarke's voice was shaky and her eyes were glossy as she slowly shook her head from side to side in disbelief.

Lexa smiled widely up at Clarke, tears of her own brimming in her eyes.

"Clarke Kom Skiakru, I swear fealty to you. I vow to treat your needs as my own and your people as my people. I have loved you since the day I saw you and I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you." Lexa took a deep breath and closed her eyes before continuing to speak. Clarke was looking down at her, her cheeks glistening with tears.

"Clarke, would you make me the happiest person in all of the 12 clans and Skiakru by marrying me?"

Clarke fell to her knees in front of Lexa, leaning her forehead against hers she let out a sob. "Lexa Kom Trikru, I do."

Lexa lunged forward, wrapping her arms around Clarke and sobbing into the crook of her neck.

"Lexa I love you too." Clarke cupped the side of Lexa's face, forcing her to look her in the eyes. "I love you so much."

Lexa grabbed Clarke's wrists and choked on her words, "You are my everything Clarke Griffen."

They sat like that for hours, holding onto each other and sobbing.

—————————————————————————

"Back to Polis." Clarke leaned back into Lexa as the horse trotted steadily beneath them.

"Not quite." Lexa kisses the side of Clarke's neck and the blonde could feel her smile against her skin.

"Where-"

The gates of Arkadia rose regally above the tree tops in the distance. The metal of the sign reflecting the light of the sun and causing a metallic glimmer.

"Lexa!" Clarke turned as much as she could on the horse and gave Lexa a side hug.

"We have a lot to explain." Lexa leaned down and placed a kiss on the top of Clarke's head.