War Council

Lexa's POV

"Commander"

I groan audibly. Pulling the furs over my head. I hadn't slept at all last night. My head was pounding and my body ached.

"Commander"

"Sha!" [yes]

A moment of silence. I roll over and attempt to fall back asleep. Whoever it was must have figured out that i wasn't in the mood to hear whatever it was they had to say.

"Lexa"

I threw the fur off of me and sat up quickly. No one called me Lexa. Well, no one other than-

"Umm-" she breathed out unsteadily and her eyes weren't meeting mine.

I looked down. I wasn't wearing anything. I never did when I slept. I always liked the cold nights and the soft furs.

"I'm so-" I reached over quickly and pulled the furs on top of me and over my chest. I bury my head in them embarrassed.

"It's fine I should have knocked its my fau-"

"Can we just pretend it didn't happen" my voice muffled by the furs.

"If that's what you want" she looked at me curiously and stepped forward, inches away from my bed.

I titled my head and searched her eyes for hidden meaning. I didn't understand her sentence or her movements.

"We have a war council meeting today" the words left my lips slowly.

She looked disappointed. Why was she disappointed? Isn't this what she wanted, to save her people?

"Oh...when-"

"Heda!" A voice from outside the tent sounded urgent.

"Enter" I commanded.

A guard entered quickly and barely scanned the room before speaking.

"The ambassadors from three of the clans have arrived." He looked around the room and saw Clarke for the first time. He looked at me and then to her.

My face flushed. I was still sitting in bed covering myself with furs. I looked to Clarke and saw that she too wore the same embarrassed expression.

"Take them to the meeting room I will be there shortly" I said sternly, eyeing him.

"Yes Heda" he nodded and quickly walked out of the tent.

I looked at Clarke and read her expression.

"He is sworn to secrecy. If he says anything I will know it was him" I assured her.

"What's to tell? Nothing happened." She regained her composure.

"Why were you in my tent anyway? How did you get past your guards? Past my guards?" My concern was growing.

"Doesn't matter" she gave a breathy laugh.

I looked at her suspiciously, then down at myself. I needed to get ready for the meeting.

"I'll go" she must have noticed my glances.

I nodded.

———————————————————————————

"That is ridiculous"

"I marched my army all the way from Azgeda"

"This is not a strategy! This is a retreat."

I clinched my jaw. I glared at the eyes glaring back at me. "My judgment is sound. My commands are to be obeyed. Turn your armies and march back to your lands. There will be no war with the Skikru."

"War is the only way!"

I slammed my fists on the table. Everyone was silenced. All men directed their attention to me and bowed their head slightly. All but one.

"Skikru has technology that we need. Technology that we cannot fight. They have guns, rocket fuel, transmitters, radios..." I breathed out. "Skikru wishes for an alliance. An alliance that will be granted."

"I will not be in an alliance with Skikru!" The man pointed at Clarke sitting quietly in the corner. "She has no place here. She has no place in an alliance! She should be dead!"

My fingers tightened around the handle of my dagger.

He lunged for his knife and crossed the room in seconds. "Yu gonplei ste odon!" [You're fight is over]

A dagger plunged through his heart and the knife fell from his fingers and hit the ground.

"ANYONE THAT THREATENS THIS ALLIANCE WILL PAY WITH THIER LIFE!" My voice cut through the air. Silence followed, allowing my words to echo in the room. No one moved. No one spoke.

I reached across the table and lifted a cup to my lips. After drinking its contents I flung it across the room, it hit a wall and then bounced to the ground.

"Do you understand!"

"Yes Heda"

I stole a glance in Clarke's direction. She looked terrified. Her eyes fixated on the bleeding man at her feet.

"Leave us!" My voice dripping in authority.

The room cleared quickly. No one dared to be the last to exit.

"Clarke" I walked over to her. She was sitting in a chair so I kneeled to be at eye level.

She reached forward and embarrassed me roughly. She squeezed her arms around my shoulders tightly. Her head was buried in my hair. She was shaking. Her breath was unsteady.

"Ste yuj" I whispered. [stay strong]

I pulled away from her. Her eyes met mine and she desperately searched them.

"Lexa...I'm scared. Your people don't want me here. They don't want my people alive" her words hurt me.

"I want you here. I want your people alive" I said assuringly. "I'm the commander. There's always one that feels strongly." I nudged the man on the floor.

"Lex-"

"You are safe" I smiled, "here with me."

"Can we leave this room" her eyes looked anywhere but at the man on the floor.

"Of course" I stood and helped her up. She walked ahead of me and exited the room. I turned back and grabbed my dagger from the mans chest. Wiping the blood on his coat before placing it back within my armour.

I caught back up with her and led her back to my tent. It was a decent walk.

When we arrived I pushed back the tent flap and allowed her to walk inside first. If anyone saw it would immediately be questioned. No one entered a room before the commander. It was disrespectful.

She sat on the bed. I wasn't sure where to stand so I went over to the table peering at the maps, trying to look as if I was doing something.

"Lexa" her voice was confident. Less shaken than before.

"Clarke" I didn't turn to look at her. I heard her get off the bed. I heard her approaching footsteps. I turned to face her but she was already standing right in front of me. Inches from my face. My back against the table.

"You said you wanted me here. Why?" Her breath tickled my neck.

"Wel-" I backed up against the table. "I-"

A loud noise outside the tent caused her to back up quickly. Yelling erupted from the village. Panicked footsteps followed.

I hurried out of the tent throwing the flap aside. Everyone's head was titled towards the sky. My gaze found the tree line then the giant flaming pieces of metal that hurled towards the earth.

"Holy Shit!"

I turned to face Clarke. I've never heard her use that word or that tone.

"It's the Ark!" Her voice a mixture of fear and excitement.

My face must have betrayed my confusion.

"It's Skikru!" She exclaimed.