28: Mysterious Yu Jian

Start from the beginning

"Curious now, are you?" He gave her an unreadable smile, but did not deny any of Rui's accusations, "You'll learn soon."

She pouted, unsatisfied with her unanswered curiosity. The discomfort settled in her chest as she asked, "Then, where are we going?"

"To the central city of Wujin, Bingxu."

"Bingxu?" she exclaimed, nearly falling out of his arms if it wasn't for his grip on her. Bingxu is the most famous place in Wujin, known for its beautiful architectures, unparalleled men and women, sensational food, and large festivals. Only those that are the wealthiest and most powerful are given the opportunity to live in the city; it's not even guaranteed for royalties. She looked at Yu Jian again, this time in a new light.

"Ah, shit." She cursed all of a sudden. Yu Jian lightly knocked the back of her head while frowning.

"Don't curse."

"Easy for you to say!" she mumbled under her breath. If he lives there, then he must be from one of the top-five official families of Wujin. Although it's not an unpleasant surprise, she doesn't know why he would leave his clan.

As they travelled closer to civilization, they came across a small market. The two stopped by a stall that sold hats. Yu Jian plucked a white veil hat off the hook and gave it to Rui to wear. Strangely enough, he didn't...pay?

"Wait, the money—" Yu Jian gave her a reassuring smile that told her not to worry. So she spoke no more.

They continued their travel, for days and nights to the famous city. The entire time, they did not pay a single tael or copper for their meals, stays, and other purchases. Rui began to wonder if the culture here was different. Perhaps, they don't use currency?

Every single person that came across them have said nothing and let him have his way.

"Ah, fuck." Yu Jian turned towards her again and she quickly held her hands up in surrender, "Sorry, sorry."

'Don't tell me he's the son of the first ranked family here? Their surname starts with a 'y,' but I can't remember if it was Yuan or Yan.' Rui thought to herself and felt like she was slowly going mad. She pierced daggers at the back of his head with her glaring eyes, heavy with suspicion.

Before they reached the city, Yu Jian suddenly changed the route with a small jerk on the reins and the horse neighed in response, "Let's go to my residence first."

The first time he had said that, she obviously could not react due to the dire dilemma they were facing at that time. Now, she gave him the most confused face: her eyes squinting, eyebrows furrowing to the point of contact, and a dropping jaw.

It wasn't before long that they arrived in front of a manor, labeled 'Moon Resident' in gold characters. She stood outside, dumbfounded as a servant boy took the leash of the horse without a single word, and silently bowed out of respect. The guards lowered their heads and opened up the large doors.

No one has spoken a word. Literally no one has spoken a single word.

"Are people here mute?" Rui asked bluntly, without any ill meanings. Yu Jian gave her a disapproving look and shook his head. She felt wronged. There's no explanation, no words being spoken, and no answers! Is this a cult? Was she the one that was uncultured? Is something wrong with her?

"Take her to the bathing room and bring her new clothes. Make it simple. Prepare a light meal." He ordered to no one in particular, as they walked into the residence. She has to say, his visual taste is quite the artist. His residence is beautifully designed and styled. It was not a large place; rather, it was a comfortable size. Her thoughts about Yu Jian being a first-ranked son slowly fades.