33: Resolved in Nangong

A rather charming voice from the side joined in, "Imperial Father, cease your anger and mind your health, as your heavenly body and mind cannot be damaged." She could hear him shift the direction of his feet to Yu Jian, and then he scolded lightly, "Little Seven, do not anger Imperial Father anymore. But this prince is happy to see you return home after so many years."

Yu Jian bowed with respect, "First Older Brother, thank you for your teachings. Yu Jian apologizes for making Older Brother worried."

The First Prince strode towards the two. He ruffled Yu Jian's hair, turning it into a bird's nest, and laughed at the sight. Yu Jian pressed his lips into a line and fixed the poking strands. He then pivoted on his foot, faced the emperor, and pleaded for his seventh brother, "Imperial Father, please forgive Little Seven. Let us listen to his story first, before deciding the punishment."

"Crowned Prince, you are too benevolent. This fool only knows how to wander around the world." The Emperor harrumphed while shaking his head, making the beads hanging from his crown rattle.

The Crowned Prince smiled softly and answered, "We are still family."

The Empress, with her constricted pupils and tight lips, glared a warning at her son. The Crown Prince lowered his head and pretended that he didn't see it.

With her lack of vision, Rui could only depend on her hearing and sixth sense to paint the picture. Her knees were starting to hurt from kneeling, while her back ached to be free from the confining position. Rui deduced two truths just now: the first and crowned prince have a good relationship with Yu Jian, and the Empress is not Yu Jian's birth mother. She's also guessing that he is not favored by his Imperial Father.

The silence in the air was unbearable. Each second felt like an hour. Abruptly, the emperor threw a cylindrical carrier for transporting letters at Yu Jian. He did not evade the attack, even though he could have dodged it easily. The message carrier clattered on the floor, before rolling to Rui's elbow.

The Emperor inquired with a low voice, "What is the meaning of this?"

The First Prince snuck a glance at his younger brother and then returned his gaze to his feet. Yujian did not stutter as he answered without urgency, "A Nangong man kidnapped and even attempted to assault my WangFei, so Yujian killed him."

"WangFei?" the dragon ridiculed, "When have Zhen ever granted you a WangFei?"

"Then Yujian request Imperial Father's blessings." He cupped his hands and bowed at a forty-five degree angle. The Emperor's eye twitched in annoyance while his face grew darker.

"WangFei? My, Little Seven, where is she? Let Chen meet her." The Empress thrilled with excitement, but her scorn did not escape the listening ears. Rui swallowed the glass shards down her throat again.

"Empress." With one word from the Emperor, she backed down and sealed her lips. He slowly returned his gaze to the couple below his feet, "And why should Zhen grant you blessings?"

"That man is Cai Zhi, a distant relative of the Prime Minister of Nangong." Yu Jian answered dully, but Rui could spot the underlying threat in his words. Her hidden lips curled, and her cheeks glowed with pride.

The Emperor's visage immediately blackened to a new shade of coal-black while his lips pressed together firmly into a contrasting white line. His voice reeked of death, "Despicable child."

"Imperial Father, Yujian cannot call himself a husband⎯ much less, a man of the Imperial family⎯ if he cannot protect his loved ones. Hoping that Imperial Father shares this same feeling with Yujian." He defended himself in a paced and spread out speed. His gray expression was did not falter.