18: Held Within Tight Clutches

Once Rui was left alone with Liling, she quickly cupped her cheeks and examined her face. She whispered guiltily, "Did it hurt a lot?"

Liling simply shook her head with a soft smile and held Rui's hand. She comforted her with a gentle voice, "Miss did it for my sake. A couple slaps cannot compare to the punishments the head-maid gives."

Rui nodded before wiping her tears, "Liling..." she showed her the fragment of the hairpin, "It's irreversible now..."

Liling's mood was also greatly dampened before she smiled again, "Come, Miss. A warm bath can relax your muscles." Rui agreed to her suggestion and walked slowly to the bathing room.

With great difficulties, she slipped out of her wrinkled clothes and stared at her bruised body. Four dark purple rings coiled around her arm like a snake and other blue spots began to form on her body. Like her black hair, they contrasted with her deathly pale skin tone. She gazed at these bruises with disdain and anger. The scars from falling off the cliff added to the fuel. Lowering herself into the warm water, she closed her eyes tiredly as she relived the scene of the breaking of the hairpin.

Behind her eyelids, revealed orbs of sadness and helplessness. Escaping would be harder now. There's a spy in every hidden corner, watching her movements. Rui felt robbed of privacy; suffocated with pairs of eyes watching, and the dozens of hands ready to catch her if she attempts to escape.

For next few days, Cai Zhi sent servants to teach her the "proper" ways to be more respectful and ladylike. Rui abided to their teachings with an unreadable expression. She remained meek and quiet, as if she calmed down from her recent outburst.

Satisfied with her current behavior, he finally decided to pay her a visit. Rui stayed silent the entire time and only responded when necessary. She agreed with his every decision and nodded to his words. Hiding the deep resentment behind her eyes, she masked her anger with a neutral smile.

"Rui, you are becoming more obedient. That is good. Take a look, Rui. I bought you new silk dresses as a reward for your good behavior. Are you not happy?"

Rui lowered her eyes as she bowed a little while she gave him a small smile. She thanked him in a neutral voice, making it difficult to guess what she was thinking, "Thanking Zhi-gege. Rui is happy that Zhi-gege bought precious gifts for this one. Rui will treasure it."

Cai Zhi hummed in approval before he stood up and prepared to leave. Before he walked out the secured doors, he turned towards her and caressed her smooth, but cold face. He patted her cheeks lightly and sneered, "See? If you were obedient in the beginning, I would not have treated you so harshly. Don't worry," he gripped onto her wrist with a bit of force, making her wince, "I will care for you well."

She could feel cold sweat dripping down her back and she inhaled sharply. Rui stiffly nodded and pulled back her wrist; to her surprise, he let go. Cai Zhi gave his trademark smile and brushed his sleeves before he left.

Rui stumbled to the floor and held the table for support as tears poured out of her jewel-like eyes. She let out a small cry and breathed harshly through her nose, attempting to calm herself down. Liling walked out of the shadows towards the direction of the door and peeked outside, only to see the same dozens of guards standing intimately with their weapons. She quietly closed the door and dimmed the lights before she hugged the fallen Rui.

"Miss..." Liling called out softly and gently held her bruised wrist, "Just endure a little more, okay? I'll figure out a way..."

Rui choked out a sound and nodded her head as she wiped away her tears. Liling used a handkerchief to dap the salty tears that stained Rui's cheeks and slowly helped her to get up. Then, she prepared her for bed and closed the door silently.

With stealthy footsteps, Liling went towards the main steward who managed the servants and attendances. She snuck a bag of gold into his hands and gave him a knowing gaze. The two shared a look and the steward weighed the heavy stacks in his hand. Feeling satisfied, he gave her a map before he turned around and pretended that she was invisible. The guards were then distracted by the steward.

Just like that, Liling snuck out of the manor for the first time since she came here. She adjusted her male clothing and tied her hair up. With a coat over her head, she quietly walked out into the streets and stared at the map in her hands. With a worried and terrified expression, she looked around the darkness that surrounded her. She gulped nervously and hitched a ride from a passing kind man with a wagon.

"Where ya headed to, boy?" he asked with an accent. Liling cleared her throat and deepened her voice, "To the northern side, near the capital of Nangong."

The man laughed, "Ho, that's perfect! This old man is also heading towards the capital. I'm going there to drop off an order from a noble. It should take only a few hours to get there."

Once they arrived, Liling was dropped off in a somewhat empty street. The man turned towards her and asked nicely, "I'm going to leave in an hour after my job. Ya need a ride back?"

Touched by his actions, Liling nodded, "Uncle, you are very kind. I don't have much to repay you..."

"Aye, that's fine. Ya young man look like my son..." the man paused and then a sad expression washed over his face. "Anyway, I'll meet ya back here later. See ya!"

Now that she was left alone in the cold streets, she turned around with a determined face. Examining her map once again, she quickly ran through the unfamiliar city.

Liling looked around her as she dashed to her destination. Breathless, she was shocked by the buildings and the beautiful city. Looking up at the sky, the stars seem to shine brighter than it did at the manor.

She found herself standing before a large manor with a golden plate that announced 'Li'. The residence was lavishly furnished with beautiful flowers and golden statues.

The guards outside halted her from entering, "Stop! Who are you?"

Liling showed a sparkling bracelet with red rubies to the guards, "I'm here to see the young miss, Li Qiuyue."