16: A Jade for a Jade

Liling observed Rui, who laid on the bed, muddlehead and lifeless. She would stare aimlessly while her hand caresses the smoothed stone that Yu Jian left for her. When she asked if she was feeling okay, Rui only laughed with a feigned energetic nod. Her half smiles barely touched her eyes. Unable to stand Rui's behavior, Liling finally spoke the words that has been holding her back. She pulled her aside, somewhere quiet and secretive while Cai Zhi was away for a meeting.

"Liling, what's wrong?" Rui asked monotonically, seemingly uninterested in the events surrounding her. Liling pushed her fingers against Rui's lips, catching her by surprise. She looked around cautiously, searching for potential spies and servants.

"Miss, this servant apologies for acting impulsive. What I'm about to tell you, could cost us our lives." This perked Rui's interests as her eyebrows raised in curiosity.

Liling continued, "Miss, I cannot stand to see you like this and suffer while being hid away in the dark. You might not believe me after I tell you this, but please, trust me for now. Young Master is not who you think he is. The boy that used to protect you as a kid for years and even promised to care for you until the very end? He's gone. Ever since his military enlistment, he changed dramatically. Underneath his dazzling smile and charming features, lies a cold-blooded monster that uses words to manipulate and lure in weak people. Excuse my rude words but Miss, you're simply a target because you're naive, young, and gullible. Most importantly, you act on your emotions—"

"Wait, Liling, what are you saying? How can this be? Zhi-gege was always kind to me. Even if he harmed others, he had his reasons." Rui denied what Liling was telling her. However, deep in her heart, a little voice inside her head tells her these accusations seemed to spew out nothing but the truth.

"Miss, they say seeing is believing, but what if you're blinded by love? Emotions are a strong source of power. Young Master took advantage of the feelings you had for him and the feelings you have for Gentleman Yu Jian." Liling shook Rui's hands desperately, "Miss, this servant is stupid and do not know why Young Master is targeting you. I was ordered to spy and give reports of you daily. I don't know his motives, but please be careful."

Rui suspiciously stared at Liling, hoping to catch a glimpse of her inner thoughts, which held nothing but honesty. Although she finds it hard to believe her words, she knew that she was telling the truth. However, she still wanted to test her as a glint passed her eyes, "Why are you telling me this?"

Liling looked down with a frown, "We're never treated like humans here. Even though Young Master saved me from slavery, he was no different from them. For the first time, I saw genuine kindness. This one didn't expect you to treat me so well, knowing that I'm a terrible liar. You knew that I was hiding something, yet you still treat me like a friend, a sister——a human being."

Liling looked back up with determination in her eyes, "That is why I'm risking my life for you to be careful. If you have a chance, run."

Her words shook Rui to the core, awakening the sleeping fire inside of her. If what she said was true, then...However, the fire quickly distinguished as Rui thought further about this. "Oh, but Liling, where would I run to? I have no place to call home anymore..." Rui asked with a sad smile. Her family wants to marry her off to an old man, Zhi-gege is using her, and Yu Jian doesn't want her to bother him anymore. Liling couldn't answer that and she was left speechless. She frowned before gripping onto Rui's shoulders and stared at her with so much confidence, that she swore it could pierce her soul.

"Miss, you're wrong. Gentleman Yu Jian will certainly accept you. There's no way he would ever find you bothersome. I've seen him! He looks at you with affection. Only you, he looks at with gentleness and warmth, only you! You have to run. You have to go find him and run far, far away from this place." She warned as she shook Rui's shoulders.

Tears pooled in Rui's eyes as she bit her shaky lips before nodding her head, causing strays of tears to slip down her rosy cheeks. "Liling, I have to find him..." she tugged the girl into her arms and mumbled a 'thank you'. She wiped her fallen tears and smiled widely, "I have to get my birth jade back. This time, I have to get him to accept my jade. Stupid Yu Jian-ah, how dare you make me be this shameless?"

When the two returned, Xin Rui pretended that nothing eventful happened and remained the meek, quiet girl. She stuffed her little belongings into a hidden pocket sewn inside of her robe. Planning ahead for the next few days, she observed Cai Zhi's movements and patterns in his schedules. By the fifth day, she prepared to enter his room and take her jade back before leaving once and for all.

That night, Cai Zhi had to welcome a famous trading business partner from the neighboring country. He shouldn't return until the dawn of the new day. Rui took this opportunity to sneak into his room while the servants took a break from their shift.

She stealthily slid around his room, rummaging through his belongings and potential hiding spots. Rui eyed a suspicious looking vase and she circled the artifact. It was strangely placed in the middle of one of his lobbies. Touching it, she removed it from its base and felt around the curves. She caught onto a small hook and she immediately opened it, revealing several treasures within the small hole. Quickly, she searched for her jade and to her satisfaction, she found the green stone with her name engraved on its smooth surface.

Her lips pulled into a small curve and she hide the jade inside of her pocket before replacing the vase back to its original position. She quietly scanned the large room one more time and attempted to remove all traces of her foot prints. Her next plan is to visit her secret hiding spot in the brick wall to gather her remaining belongings. When she was sure that everything seemed untouched, she was ready to leave.

Suddenly, a cold voice brought a chilling fear down her spine as she felt a spiky rush of goosebumps on her skin, "Rui, what are you doing here?"

She froze like ice and held her breath so close to her heart that she could feel it rushing to her brain next. Her mind nearly blanked out as a million thoughts of potential excuses ran through her buzzing mind. She slowly turned around to face Cai Zhi with a soft smile and casually explained, "Rui was just curious of what Zhi-gege's room looked like. When we get married, I'm hoping to be more familiar with your courtyard."

His emotionless visage made it hard for Rui to know what he was thinking, but he did not seem convinced, "Is that so?"

Rui sweetly smiled again, "Of course."

He raised an eyebrow and one corner of his lips tugged upwards, "Or were you possibly looking for this?" From his sleeves, he pulled out a white jade hairpin with a butterfly attached to the end of it. It was the hairpin Yu Jian gifted her.