Reassuring Others

Finally.

The university entrance exam had finally ended. I stepped out of the examination room and waited for Tae Yeon, who was busy speaking with the teacher. When she approached me, she was grinning.

"I'm so glad we studied," she said, while I just nodded in agreement. "This calls for a celebration!"

Tae Yeon hooked her arm around mine. I smiled and let myself be pulled along with her. To be honest, I was glad we studied. Who knew what would happen to our future if we hadn't?

As we walked happily past some students, they seemed to get agitated.

"Look, there's Ice Princess!" one girl pointed.

"Yah," another said to her friend. "Why is Ice Princess so happy?"

I stopped walking.

"Tsk," her friend snickered. "She must have had extra drug intake today."

There was the other rumour; that I took drugs.

"Ignore them," Tae Yeon said and got us walking again. "They're just too shallow."

I sighed. They had been calling me Ice Princess since the party. It was a nice title, but the way they mentioned it made it seem like my name was 'Poop' or 'Ugly', or something nastier.

We headed for Café Kim. I preferred this café more than Café Lotus, the one I was working for. Café Kim had a nice homey feeling that would make one at ease as soon as he steps in. Its walls were painted with wood brown, and the floor was also wood. The circular tables, of every size, were neatly arranged in such a way that it could accommodate many people without making it look crowded.

At Café Kim, we discussed about the exam while sipping coffee- well, ice lemon tea for me.

"Are you sure the answer is A?" Tae Yeon asked dubiously.

"Mm-hmm. I even checked the Internet. Definitely A," I answered confidently.

"Ugh, what to do..." she put her head on the table and groaned.

"Don't worry, it's just one question," I assured her. "The big event is over now. We can't turn back time."

Tae Yeon immediately sat up straight,  which startled me a bit.

"Speaking of big events..." she trailed off thinking.

"What? What is it?"

"Ah!" She snapped her fingers. "The Winter Formal!"

Thank goodness I wasn't drinking, if I was, the drink would go flying all onto her face.

"Seriously? That? I thought they were joking. Dances are so mainstream."

"They were serious," Tae Yeon said. "Every elite or prestigious school has Winter Formals for seniors graduating. And every year it is held, there are specific themes. Last year was a Grand Ball, the year before that was Fairytale, and the year before that was- don't laugh- Animal Kingdom."

"What, the students dress up as animals?" I laughed anyway. "I pity their misfortune."

Tae Yeon laughed along. "Anyway, I have a feeling this year would be something to do with masks."

"Masquerade? That's the most cliché of all clichés. Romeo and Juliet, normal high school dances..." I listed off all the events where a masquerade would take place.

She shrugged. "I don't know.  It's the only cliché theme left. Seems pretty cool to me."

I was about to say otherwise but my phone rang at that moment. I answered the call without looking at the caller ID.