xviii. nick manning.💧

"Nick?" You called your husband's name throughout your shared home. "In the living room!" He responded, and you stepped over toys to get to him. You weren't sure if they belonged to your 5 year old or your 3 year old. When you reached him, he sat on the couch, clad in a white T-shirt and plaid pajama pants.

He was drinking a beer, watching an NFL game on TV. You hugged him tightly, releasing a breath. "Are you okay, babe?" He laughed lightly, turning the game off to face you. You breathed in the faint smell of his shampoo and body wash, it instantly calming you down.

"I saw the crash on the news, and I was so afraid for you, but I had a case and I couldn't check my phone, and I called you on the way home, but you didn't answer, and I was just so worried because-" "Babe," he stopped you, and you took a deep breath. 

You moved your briefcase out the way to sit next to him on the couch. You were a state attorney for Louisiana, which required almost no time for yourself these days. "I am fine. I had to pick up Jacob and Nathan from the nanny early, so I was halfway home when I heard about the crash. They're fed, they're sleeping, they're fine, I'm fine, and you should calm down now," he told you, handing you his beer. 

You weren't much of a beer drinker, but you took it from him, drinking a little bit to calm your nerves. "Is everyone okay?" you asked, unbuttoning your suit jacket, throwing it over the back of the couch. "Yes, everyone is okay. The medics involved only had a few bumps and bruises," he said, putting an arm around you.

"Mommy, can you read me a bedtime story? Daddy didn't do a good job," a small voice interrupted you, making both you and Nick laugh. "Sure honey, I'll be right up," you told him, kissing his forehead as he retreated back up the stairs. "When will I get some story telling appreciation around here?" Nick joked, pressing a kiss to your cheek.

"When you get better at story telling."