three- dinner

Dylan collapsed on his bed in annoyance for the second time that day, this time even more hurt than the first. He put on his headphones and curled his body in on itself, staring off at the wall, feeling overwhelmingly upset. First, he has to think about Eric, the 'perfect' child of his mother. Funny how everyone seemed to overlook the dark things he'd done: ditching him and his mother for his cheating bastard of a father, constantly making fun of Dylan, cheating on his girlfriend of two years, and many more cruel things. Then, Sawyer, a guy who was ridiculously stereotypical, with his blonde hair, blue eyes, tan skin, and obvious 'I'm the popular quarterback' look moving into his home. To top it all off, his new 'housemate' had the nerve to insult his physical appearance, something he was already insecure about.

That's not fair, part of him thought. He was just observing. It's not his fault you're so fucked up. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to prevent the tears leaking out of them. Great start to my summer, he thought as he listened to Stay Down from Boygenius.

>><<

"Are you sure you don't want any chicken, Dylan?" Asked his mother for what felt like the fourth time.

"No, mom, my answer hasn't changed since the last three times you'd asked it." Sawyer snorted slightly and stares down at his meal, clearly amused.

"Sorry for his attitude, Sawyer, doesn't he know we have a guest over?" said his mother, glaring at Dylan.

"Don't apologize for me, Mom, I'm sorry I can't be just like Eric," he snapped back, referencing their previous argument. Sawyer seemed to be enjoying the drama as he wolfed down his chicken.

"Great food, Ms. Grace," he said with a pearly-toothed smile. Dylan glowered at the both of them and stood up.

      "I'll let you two perfect specimens enjoy your food in peace," he growled, pushing in his chair and leaving the table.

       "Dylan, what are you talking about? Get back here now!" Yelled his mother, but he could care less. Sure, he was being a real asshole, but he was angry at her and Sawyer, and to be honest, he was hurt. There was something about the way that people compared him to others that truly stung. He crumpled onto the couch in the living room, turning the television to some random channel. Then, he realized he wasn't alone.

"What do you want?" Groaned Dylan, turning sullenly to Sawyer. He relaxed his shoulder against the doorway, staring inquisitively at Dylan.

"Your mom told me to get you." Dylan rolled his eyes and turned back to the TV.

"Tell her to eat shit." Sawyer laughed softly and sat next to Dylan, stretching out on the couch. Asshole.

"You know, I don't think I will," he said, smiling to combat Dylan's glare. "Hey," he softly murmured, sitting up to face Dylan. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings earlier, I-"

"Shut up," Dylan muttered, turning back to the TV.

"Okay," said Sawyer, leaning back and chewing on his lip. "I just-"

"Why are you so obsessed with trying to socialize with me?" Groaned Dylan, pinching the bridge of his nose, a habit he'd gained from his mother.

        "If I have to live in your house all summer, then I might as well befriend you," Sawyer shrugged as he stared at his feet, looking a bit hurt. It occurred to Dylan that Sawyer may not have actually wanted to stay with him, and suddenly, he was genuinely curious as to why Sawyer got kicked out. For some reason, Dylan felt somewhat guilty, but there was no way he'd express that to Sawyer. "I really am sorry that you thought I was making fun of you. I really wasn't trying to, sometimes I just say what pops into my head."

        "It's fine," Dylan sighed, trying not to keep a grudge. "I know that I'm skinny and gaunt, it's cause I never leave my room." Sawyer grinned at Dylan and softly laughed. For such a big guy, his laugh was so quiet. Dylan allowed himself to smile, just slightly- the whole situation was just ridiculous.

        "Come on, eat with us?" Asked Sawyer. Dylan rolls his eyes.

       "I'll pass." He may have had a moment with Sawyer, but that sure didn't mean he liked him.