Chapter Two

As I did every morning, I first went to kneel in front of the graves of the fallen. I offered quick prayers for the deceased members of Sango's family and all the other demon hunters buried there. It had been some time since she had visited, so I knew that as soon as she recovered from giving birth - her family would be on their way to pay their respects. 

Next, I fetched water from the well so I could wash, ate leftover stew from the night before, and gradually made my way around the encampment, strengthening the wards that kept the village off the radar and protected against those who sought to bring us harm. Everything was done mechanically, making it more difficult to keep my mind from wandering to forbidden subjects. Like that dream...

I grunted and forcefully straightened from my position in front of the last ward. I refused to think about that; I couldn't bear to let that pain consume me today. Last night was enough, and I could lie to myself and pretend it never happened. Denial was sometimes the only thing that allowed me to make it through the day in one piece.

Brusquely, I pushed my way into my tiny house that lay on the outer edges of the small village, changing quickly into my demon hunting gear. The outfit was reminiscent of the material and style both Kohaku and Sango donned, though my own was all black. Next to my bed lay my signature weapon: a spear with wood the color of ebony and spearheads sharpened to deadly points at each end.  It was a gift from Kohaku after I officially finished my training. He had enlisted the help of Totosai in constructing the weapon and I knew it was his idea in bestowing the spear upon me. He thought it was the safest option; it kept enemies at a greater distance from me but also satisfied my need for close combat.

I couldn't count the times that he pleaded with me to just learn archery.

The sun was high in the sky by the time I made my leave of the village. Although bright, the air was brisk and I could sense that autumn was almost entirely upon us. I enjoyed this season with its bold colors, chilly air, and crisp, clean nights. It made journeying all the more enjoyable and lifted the weight off my chest just slightly.

Reflexively, I skimmed my fingertips along the wood of my spear. It was strapped to my back, but in my hand it towered a good head over me. All of my senses were on high alert, but it didn't seem like there was anything vile lurking in the surrounding forest today. What a shame.

I longed to trek on further, but someone had to remain close to the encampment. If I didn't, and some traveler needed help, I could be the reason they died. I would not allow anyone to lay that blame on me.

It was high noon by the time I made it to my favorite spot in the forest. The small clearing was overlooked by a broad cliff face, and there at the base sat a spring. The water that burbled there was as clear as the blue sky overhead and remained relatively cool throughout the harsh summer months. I enjoyed the peace that the murmuring water evoked. Whenever my patrols brought me out this way, I always took the time to unfold myself atop the flat rock closest to the pool.

Now, with my spear at my side, I watched the little eddies in the water's surface. With the sun striking through the clear liquid, it reminded me of the bracelet Kaede had bestowed upon me before I moved out of her village. Currently, it was twined around my wrist, with the oval crystal embedded in the center. That crystal was like pure light, and sometimes it felt like I could get lost in its depths. I don't know why, but I remembered the day I received it like it was yesterday.

"Rin!"

I stopped abruptly in my tracks, twisting around to see Kaede hobbling toward me. Her swollen joints had grown more painful in the past few years, so I crossed to meet her halfway. Kohaku and Shippo stood at my back, patiently waiting for me to rejoin them.