Chapter One

The bitter wind blew harshly around Fingolfin and his group. The harsh weather of the Helcaraxë was almost unbearable. They had to keep going into was too late to turn back now. A harsh gust of wind came and hit the group hard.

"We need to find a place to until this storm passes," Said Fingon looking at his father. Before Fingolfin could reply a low rumble started was heard. The ground shook for a moment before a large ice mound came to life. It was some large creature it let others a ear shattering screech and moved to attack.

"SCATTER!" Shouted Fingolfin and the closet people to the front jumped to the side as the creature dived it's head at them. The creature seemed to be a long snake but it was huge. It was pure white ice crystals hanging on its back. It pulled back and howled in frustration. It turned its head to Turgon and Elenwe who stood off to the side. It moved fast in attack yet someone seemed to come out of nowhere pulling them back and they fell over. They held out a spear as the creature opened its mouth and as it bit down they bit the spear. It pulled back and let out a horrible  howls.

While that happened Fingolfin ran to check on Turgon and Elenwe. They then look at the person who helped them. They certainly were no one from their group and quiet possibly not even from Valinor. They wore a thick clothes that covered their whole body. Even their face was covered in a mask. "Who are you?" He asked.

"I'll answer questions after I take care of this over grown snake," They said. Their voice muffled but clearly female. They move back and jump to the side as the creature attacks again.  Once they were on the ground and they stab them in the side of the neck with their spear and once it was in bedded in its body they swing themselves onto it's back. They hang on as the creature moved to shake them off. They hung on tightly and Fingolfin could not see what happened next but he saw it let out one final hiss. Then tumbled to the ground crashing into it causing snow to fly up. Once the snow settled they pulled their staff out of the dead creature and put it on their back.

She moved off the dead creature and walked over to Turgon and Elenwe first. "You both alright?" She asked.

"Uh. Yes, thank you." Turgon said.

"Don't mention it. Now what on earth are you all doing here?" She asked folding her arms turning back to the rest of the the group.

"What are we- what are you doing here? Who are you even?" Fingolfin asked.

"I'm Ayla. Now who are all of you?" She said.

"I am Finglofin," He said.

"Now my first question," She said.

"That's a long story," He said. She looked at him for a long moment and said, "It'll be a good idea to get out of this storm. It'll be getting worse pretty soon. All of you can follow me."

"Wait. What are you doing here? Your not part of Valinor." He said.

"No, I am not. This is my home now come on before you all turn into elfsicles." She said.

"We have a lot of people with us? There's a place for enough that as enough room for all of us?" Asked Fingon.

"I was grew up here I know this place like that back of my hand." She said. "Now do you want to come with me or freeze?"

Fingolfin looked at them and then at his group. They needed a place to rest and possibly get food. He sighed and then said, "Alright."

"Good, now come on." She said. She turned to the left and started walking. Finglofin followed her with Fingon next to him. The others followed behind them and some who were further back were slightly confused as to what happened.

"Are you sure we can trust her?" Asked Fingon looking at his father.

"I'm afraid right now we have no choice," He said. "We need supplies, food, and a healer for some of those who are wounded."

Fingon nods and then looked back ahead shivering as the wind blew through him. Ayla lead them into the part of the Helcaraxë that looked to be tall mountains. Yet instead of leading them up she headed them a path that seemed to be lead down a narrow slop. Ayla walked down them with ease like she did this everyday. As the bottom of the slop was a mouth of a cave and at the entrance was three lantern but there did not seem to be a fire inside rather stones that glowed lightly. It reminded Finglofin of the silmarils but the glow was more gentle and not as intense.

"What are those?" He asked as she took the extra lantern there and attached it to the top of her spear.

"Freifite," She said. "Stay close to me and pass the word back to put out the lanterns you have. You won't need them for long."

"What do you mean?" Fingolfin asked.

"You won't need the light from your lanterns. I am just using the
Freifite to light the way at first." She said. Finglofin just nodded and gave the word to pass it back to the end of the group. As they walked down into the cave at first it was dark but as they moved in got a bit late as Fingolfin realized that what Ayla called Freifite lined the walls. It light up the path just like lanterns would do.

"This is amazing," Said Elenwe.

"If you think this is cool you should see my home," Ayla said looking over her shoulder.

"Where is your home?" Asked Fingon.

"Around a few miles from here," She said. "Yet, I'll let my king explain more to you."

"Your king?" Asked Fingolfin. "Who's your king?"

"As I said for right now just follow me and once we get your group in the cavern I'll take you to speak with him." She said.

♢♢♢

Ayla lead them to a very large cavern that a was had a large Freifite hanging from the ceiling and a bunch of smaller one hanging at the walls. The light from the one on ceiling had a much of intense glow to it.

"My king will want to speak with you and I am sure you have questions for him." She said. "Your people will be safe here and a bit warmer."

"Thank you." He said to her and then turned to his group and made explained to everyone what had happened. How he was going to speak to her king and will be back soon. Once he was done he looked to Fingon and Aredhel. "I want you two come with me...just in case." He added the last part quietly so Ayla won't hear.

He then looked at Turgon and said, "Please keep your eye on things while we're gone."

Turgon nodded and said, "of course."

Fingolfin then looked at Ayla and said, "Lead the way."

She nodded and lead the three elves into a tunnel that was brightly light on both sides. The three followed her for a distance with a few turns and then up a flight of stairs that was made from the tunnel they were in. It was strange the air down here seemed fresh as if they'll be outside. As well as a lot of the tunnels they walked through seemed man made.

She stopped walking and gave a light sigh. "Here we are, welcome to the city of Iyhtalos." She said gesturing to the city they over looked. The buildings looked to be made out whiteis blue marble, It looked similar to that of ice. It was quiet an amazing sight. She chuckled at their faces and looked out on the city before leading them down a flight of stairs. This is turning out to be a very interesting day for her and she could guess even more so for the three elves following her.

The City of Iyhtalos