"Thanks, Ji," the oldest softly smiles before glancing at the alarm clock on his nightstand. "I hate to break this moment but if we want to be on time, we really have to get ready now."

"Since when does the great Lee Minho care about arriving on time?" I innocently ask, swaying my legs over the edge of the bed and getting to my feet.

Minho follows my example and mockingly rolls his eyes as if to say duh.

"Since I want to watch a lot of movies with my new roommate instead of being stuck in detention," he explains.

"Seems fair," I grin, grabbing my school uniform -fortunately, I was wearing it when I ran away from home- from a chair and heading into the bathroom to get ready. As I walk past the mirror, I can't help but notice the smile that plays on my lips. It feels so misplaced, one shouldn't smile after a break with their family like this. But I guess that's the power that Minho holds, huh?

--

We find Hyunjin leaning against the wall next to the main gate as we arrive at school. The boy makes a face as he finds us in the crowd, probably because I texted him last minute that I wouldn't be walking with him today. Judging from his flushed cheeks, it was a little too last minute and he had to hurry to get here on time.

"Okay so, explain this," my best friend demands, pointing at us accusingly. "Did something happen or is this another spontaneous sleepover? Oh shit, I sound like an overprotective dad."

Minho chuckles and I sigh.

"It's both," I explain, drawing a confused look from Hyunjin. "I got into a huge fight with my parents and Minho hyung offered me shelter for the time being."

It's funny how quick Hyunjin's expression falls and turns into one of concern. It's quite obvious that he has his suspicions about what happened and suddenly, I really feel the need to vent about it, to let it all out. I look at my best friend, who gives a nearly invisible nod in return. He knows what I mean.

Minho eyes the silent conversation between us in confusion before he shrugs and tightens the grip on his school bag. "I have to go to class, top floor struggles," he sighs. "See you guys later."

With a small wave, he turns around and disappears into the crowd of students that all enter the school grounds at once. I watch him go before I redirect my gaze towards Hyunjin, who obviously has a plan in his mind.

"We're skipping the first class, you look like you've been through a lot of shit," he guesses and I just nod. Now that Minho's gone, a part of the reassurance is gone as well and I feel the uneasiness seeping back. Honestly, spilling everything to my best friend is very welcome.

We wait until the crowd dilutes before we head to a far corner of the school grounds, sitting in the shadow of a huge tree in the center of the neatly kept lawn. I rest my back against the bark, ignoring the uncomfortable harshness of it.

"Spill it," Hyunjin urges, as he sits down next to me. His eyes are filled with concern and I smile wryly.

"This dumbass accidentally came out to his homophobic parents," I cheer humorlessly, doing a half-assed jazz hands. "Now I'm basically dead meat to them, I guess. Good thing there's Minho hyung who took me in or I would've been homeless."

"Oh shit," Hyunjin mutters, giving me a compassionate look that quickly turns into confusion. "But how do you accidentally come out? You've always been pretty good at keeping it a secret."

"They were talking shit about my dad's co-worker again," I shrug, acting as if it's just a light story about the weather. "I kinda snapped and basically screamed into my dad's face that I'm gay. Pretty fun, his face was priceless."

I end with a humorless chuckle and Hyunjin looks at me with worry in his eyes.

"And then? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

I shake my head in denial and sigh, "I ran away before he could. I think it wouldn't have turned out well for me if I decided to stick around after coming out. That's why I would've been a homeless failure if Minho hyung didn't offer me to stay."

"You really shouldn't believe what your dad tells you," my best friend scoffs. "Your sexuality doesn't make you a failure. You're not a failure at all, not to me and definitely not to Minho hyung. Your dad is just a bit... uneducated."

"Why do you put it that nicely? He's just a professional asshole that calls everyone and everything a failure while he is oh so perfect," I sigh, holding back all the hate I feel towards my dad at the moment. Hyunjin doesn't deserve that rant.

"Okay, you're right," Hyunjin admits. "He's an uneducated asshole."

He seems to think for a moment before he asks, "did you tell Minho hyung already?"

"I didn't," I shortly reply.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind," Hyunjin encourages me. "He's so clingy with you, I can't imagine him to be homophobic or something. I mean, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't straight, either."

I let out a soft chuckle but my lips quicky tug into a frown again.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind," I agree, slowly nodding before heaving out a sigh. "But I do. I can't tell him after everything that happened. He might be okay with it but right now, I'm not okay with my sexuality. I kind of despise myself for being gay, you know? I can't get myself to tell him when I feel like shit about it."

"I can't imagine what you're feeling right now but it must be terrible," Hyunjin mutters and I hum a vague confirmation because it really is terrible.

It remains silent for a while before Hyunjin looks up with a small grin. "This will be my first detention in a loooong time," he announces before he looks at me. "At least we have it together."

Suddenly remembering Minho's words from this morning, I groan in annoyance.

"Minho hyung kind of mentioned that he didn't want detention to watch movies with his uh, new roommate and look what I did? Now I'm the one that got detention. Sweet!"

"Oh well," my best friend shrugs, flashing me a reassuring smile. "I'm sure Minho hyung will somehow manage to end up in the detention classroom as well so don't worry too much about it."

"You're probably right," I admit as I watch how Hyunjin swiftly gets to his feet before offering me his hand to get me up as well. As I'm on my feet, I reach out to grab my bag before we head towards the school building together.

I'm so glad to have these two as my friends.

--

If I keep this up, this story will be finished in no-time lol

But let's be honest. I totally don't have another minsung story ready to be released 👀