52

"Wow, it's been a while since I heard that sound for the last time," Minho dryly comments, glancing at the direction the sound came from.

"Yeah, I can see that," I chuckle, making a face towards the older. "You know you're supposed to open the door now, right? Staring at it won't do anything."

"Smartass," Minho scoffs, gently pushing me off his lap as the doorbell rings again. I make myself comfortable against one of the many pillows as I watch my boyfriend disappearing through the door that separates the front door from the living area.

Then I reach out to pause the anime playing on the TV, even though we -once again- were barely paying attention to the show. With the sound gone, I can hear Minho's muffled voice through the door and even though I can't make out what he's saying, I know his voice well enough to say that he's surprised about something.

I frown, trying my best to catch at least some of the words he speaks. But it's useless, a few seconds later it's silent and the front door shuts. Then, Minho reappears, looking more uncomfortable than I've ever seen him before. I want to ask him what's wrong but then, my eyes wander to the familiar person following right behind Minho.

"M-Mom?" I stammer, jumping up from the couch immediately. Panic and confusion take over my body, it's as if I'm readying myself to get away as fast as possible if needed. My mom takes a step forward and Minho gives me a helpless look from behind her.

"Hyunjin gave me this address when I asked him where I could find you," my mom tells me, looking at me hesitantly. "I came here to talk to you."

I relax a little at her words, the tension gradually leaving my muscles. At least she isn't here to smash my skull or something like that. But I still look at her warily and she sighs.

"Why uh, don't you two sit down to talk?" Minho awkwardly suggests, gesturing towards the couch. "I'll be in the kitchen."

My throat grows dry as I give Minho a pleading look. Please don't go, I want to say. But with a reassuring smile, he turns around and disappears into the kitchen, leaving me alone with my mom.

I watch how she takes a seat on the couch and I hesitate. When I became so scared of her? I don't know. I guess I just find it hard to trust my family after everything they put me through, even my mom.

Eventually, I sit down on the couch as well, keeping a fair distance from her. I find myself fidgeting with the hem of my shirt -that I actually stole from Minho, but okay. It's not hard to guess what she wants to talk about but what exactly she's going to say is unknown. To say that I'm nervous is an understatement, anxious would be a better word. Last time I checked, she wasn't too fond of gay people, either. 

After a long, tensed silence, my mom finally speaks up.

"Is he your boyfriend?" she softly asks.

I slowly nod a few times, keeping my eyes trained on her to observe her reaction. She nervously bites her lower lip before looking away. And what now? Will she blow up in anger now that she knows? It makes me feel scared; even though I don't live with them anymore, the idea of my parents hating my guts leaves me restless. I already know my dad hates me and somehow, I hold a little hope that my mom doesn't. At least don't let her yell it straight into my face. Not now, when everything finally goes well.

"Mom, please don't ruin this," I practically beg her. "I'm finally happy and-"

"Does he treat you right?" my mom bluntly asks, catching me off guard.

The words I wanted to say earlier are caught in my throat and I look at her blankly. I expected a lot of things to happen but this definitely wasn't one of them. Even though my mom looks hesitant, the is no anger or hate behind her eyes. She just looks at me like she used to, as if nothing has happened. The beginning of a warm smile plays on her lips and my heart swells in happiness.