Chapter 7

The group of you unloaded your gear in the church, every claiming various benches for themselves.

You picked the one by the front door, wanting a way out if things turned bad, but also wanting to be the first point of contact for anyone who tries to break into the place.

You doubted that would happen, but with Carl and Judith inside, you wanted to the first line of defence against any bad guys.

Daryl must have been thinking the same thing because threw his bag and the rope of squirrels he had caught earlier onto the bench across the aisle from you.

Rick, Michonne, Sasha, Bob and Gabriel left to go on a supply run to some place that Gabriel said he hadn't cleaned out yet. The priest said it was overrun and by 'overrun' he meant only a dozen or so walkers which Carl could easily take down with a single knife if he wanted to. But, Rick wasn't taking any chances and bought the others with him, along with Gabriel who he still didn't trust and neither did you.

Daryl and Carol had disappeared a while ago while you were cleaning your sniper. Daryl mentioning something about going to find water to you before they both walked out the building.

Not long after Glenn, Maggie and Tara had disappeared out the church as well after looking through the phone book and apparently finding a gun shop that they wanted to check out.

You doubted there'd be any guns or ammunition left in the store, but told the group of them if they found any .50 calibre bullets that you called shotgun on them.

You were starting to run low on rounds for your sniper. There was still the spare magazine strapped to the side of your gun, along with the other two spares strapped to your belt, but the rest had been kept in your backpack that no doubt went up in flames back at Terminus.

It didn't take long before you got bored of sitting inside the church. You stood up and made your way outside, telling Tyreese that you were just going out the back for some fresh air so he knew where you'd be if there was any trouble.

You passed Abraham who was lying under the front of the bus trying to fix it while Rosita passed him whatever tools he needed. You nodded towards the other woman and she smiled with a small nod back as you walked past them around the building.

While the others were out scavenging and getting water, you figured you might as well make yourself useful and double check the perimeter and keep watch, although Rosita and Abraham were outside and could probably keep watch, but you needed something to do.

As you walked along the outside wall of the church, checking the various windows to make sure they were locked and secure.

However, when you reached the second window you froze.

Knife marks.

Someone had tried to get inside, using their knife to scratch away at the wood and paint, but it clearly didn't work since the window was still secure.

You stared at the knife marks for a few seconds before you continued walking to see if the other windows had them too. Suddenly, you spotted something carved into one of the wooden planks of the Church and you frowned.

'YOU'LL BURN FOR THIS' Had been carved through the white paint of the church, clearly by a knife by how deep and boxed the letters were. You did not like this, not one little bit. Gabriel was definitely hiding something and by the look of it, it was something bad.

After another sweep of the outside of the building, it was clear that those were the only markings on the outside and you weren't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

You stayed outside by the window, staring at the knife grooves as you tried to wrack your brain for any reasonable answers.

"Hey, Tyreese said you were out back. Come on in, you don't need to distance yourself from the group. You've earned your place, Y/N." Rick's voice suddenly called out.