Chapter 116

KOUSUKE

~~A few hours ago, with Mr. Yoo~~

Suspicion reenters his body and facial features. "Are sure that is all, Mr. Hirahara? I may be in the hospital, but my daughter is not without protection."

"Yes, Mr. Yoo. That is all." I reply despite my discomfort.

"Hm," he grunts. He eyes me from head to toe, as if sizing me up. "If anything, and I mean anything, should happen to Shin-ae, I will hold you personally responsible. Is that clear, Kousuke?"

Did he just call me by my first name?

"I understand your concerns, Mr. Yoo." I answer, despite his tone.

He nods his head. "Alright. You have my permission. And I'll give you the name of her school."

~~PRESENTLY~~

SHIN-AE

I'm still in my school uniform when we arrive to Kousuke's office. On the walk here, I was surprised we went through the back entrance instead of the front.

Is...is Kousuke ashamed of me?

"You may use my office restroom to change, Ms. Yoo. No reporter or publicist will bother you, as long as you stay in my office."

Surprise washes over me, because 1) who has a personal restroom in their office – I mean really; and 2) did he just say reporter?

"And what if I do, by accident, run into a publicist or reporter?" I ask.

"Be cordial, Ms. Yoo. Your actions reflect the company. And should they ask you any questions, you are to only tell them this: I'm sorry, I am not at liberty to say at the moment. Then excuse yourself by reminding them of your busy schedule." He sits down at his desk, but still keeps his eyes on me. "If you recall, Ms. Yoo, we made a deal."

**Flashback**

"...My deal is this: you give me one month to show you what I can do and if by the end of the month you still find me lacking, I'll quietly quit this position. No fuss and no suing. Deal?" Shin-ae asked...

**PRESENT**

"Yes. I remember," I admit begrudgingly.

"This is your chance, Ms. Yoo. Should you fail to follow my exact instructions, you'll quietly quit this position at the end of the month." He turns to his computer, but his tone is soft. Now I'm not sure if he's addressing me, or muttering to himself. "I cannot afford this type of distraction."

As I go to his restroom to change, I say nothing in reply.

Was he talking about me? Am I the distraction?

YEONG-GI:

Walking to the office space I share with Sang-chul, I check my text messages one more time. Hm. Still no reply from Alyssa. Hope she's doing ok. Hope we're doing ok. This is the longest I've gone without a text from her.

I set my backpack down and toss my phone on my desk. I hear Sung-chul rolling closer to me, but I ignore the idiot. Because maybe...maybe I made a mistake in texting Alyssa to help with me Shin-ae. Alyssa said they used to be friends. And I thought, that hopefully, she would have some insight in getting through Shin-ae. Maybe I should've text Dieter instead? I'm so engrossed on how I can help Shin-ae and still keep my relationship with Alyssa that I don't notice how close Sang-shul is to me.

"You know," says the blond snake. "it amazes me how your father hasn't caught on to you." 

What is this idiot talking about?

"I don't have the faintest idea what you mean," I tell him. I turn my back to him and start my computer.

"Tch, don't you turn your back on me!"

I quickly turn my seat around and stand to my full height. "What?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Aahh!" cries the weasel as he scurried back to his side of the office...

...just as Assistant Jayce walks in with a clipboard. "Alright, the reporters will becoming in about an hour to take pictures of you two and- " Jayce looks up and asks, "Why is Sang-chul gripping the back of his chair?"

"Yeong-Gi has been trying to intimidate me all morning!"

Jayce closes his eyes and sighs. "Gentlemen, please. We have reporters and both the Kim's and Hirahara's publicists coming today. We don't have time for such nonsense!"

The blond snake cries again pointing at me, "He started it!"

I merely shrug. "I have no idea what he's talking about Jayce. I'm just standing here."

Assistant Jayce just shakes his head. "Just try and at least pretend you like each other. We need to damage control on our image and ensure to both companies' shareholders that the children of the leading families are getting along." After a big sigh, he tells us, "Now, if you need me, I'll be in my office."

Once Jayce left the room, Sang-chul slithers out from his corner. "Tch," he says with a smirk. "Now we can get down to business."

I groan. "What are you going on about, mate? We have work to do."

"You still don't get it, do you?"

"Get what?"

"I know about you and the young little Ms. Yoo."