Chapter 110 + 111

Authors Special Note:

This part is longer than the others and is worth two chapters.  It also contains possible triggers for those who suffered from abuse. Viewer discretion is advised.

If you or someone you know needs help, please call RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) a nationwide treatment hotline for victims of sexual assault with free, confidential services around the clock. Call 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).

YEONG-GI (aka: NOL)

I quickly follow Kousuke out of Mr. Yoo's room and to the parking lot.  Without turning back to face me, he asks "Now, do you see how unnecessary your concern is for her? She's with her friend. Whoever she, or he, is."

He glances over his shoulder and I  nod and admit, "Maybe."  Knowing how irritated Kousuke must be with me, I reluctantly  add, "Thank you for coming anyways. I know you rather be in the office, working."

"Hm," is his only reply.

A part of me wants to believe Kousuke – that I over reacted and Shin-ae is really ok. And that her random text "You were wrong" meant nothing. But the other part of me, one that I cannot ignore, reminds me of how stubbornly proud Shin-ae can be. For her to text me that and to call me out of the blue, something must be wrong.

Despite these conflicting thoughts, I make myself go home to Nana and resist the urge to call Shin-ae one more time. Or worse – go to the k-mall (where Mr. Yoo said she'd be) and check up on her. Shin-ae will think I'm a stalker for sure! And I DID promise her that I'd tone things down.

I pull up in the drive way, lock my car, and head straight to my room.

"Tiger?" Nana calls. "Is that you?"

"Yea, Nana! I'm home."

She comes out of the kitchen. "Were you and Kousuke able to help Shin-ae?"

"You remembered her name?"

This makes her brows furrow and her hand land on her hip. "O' course I did, boyo! I'm old, nae deaf." Her voice drips with sarcasm, that makes the side of my mouth tip up in amusement. This reaction, of course, irritates Nana further. She points her finger at me and says, "I dinnae know what ye smirking about, but best believe, my mind will stay sharp."

With her tone, I definitely can't stop my grinning. "Of course, Nana."

I head to my room and take out my phone. My mind is still debating on what I should do with Shin-ae. My finger hovers over her name in my contacts, but I don't press it.  Instead, I text Alyssa Cho, my girlfriend.

ME: Hey, babe. Can you help me with something? It's about Shin-ae.

ALYSSA CHO: (...is typing)

I wait for her response, but all I see are the three flickering dots. What is she typing?  Whatever it is, she deleted it. Now, below my text, it says "Read". Maybe...maybe she's just busy. With her event coming up, her manager probably demands more of her attention. As I continue to wait for Alyssa's reply, my eyes feel heavier. And heavier. My breathing begins to slow.  And sleep overcomes me. 

But my limbs feel restless.  Tossing and turning in my bed, I can't escape this heat, as if my body is burning. 

"Noland," whispers a soft feminine voice. Wake up. WAKE. UP. "Nooolllaaand," she calls again. Waakke...Uupp...