Three

Abubakar gasped, refusing to think of his eldest daughter, he seems to be focus watching the news on telly but his mind is somewhere else. His wife walk fast him sitting on the sofa in her bedroom with one leg on top of the other. She placed the load of the freshly ironed clothes she was holding on the bed. And start putting them away in the wardrobe.

"You know thinking too much is not good for one's health," she advised as she continue with her action.

He gasps again then begins, "for how long will she continue to be the chef and the laundry girl of this house, uhmm?" Aisha only smiles at the piles of clothes at her front, her husband could only see her back, as she was still in front of the wardrobe trying to label the clothes accordingly. Keeping separate row for ankara, lace and the other article of clothing.

"When she decided to stop." Was her simple reply.

"She does all the work in this house, whether it is sweeping or washing dishes." The exhaustion was clear in his voice. Yet, he have no one to blame for that, not even himself or maybe it has a little bit to do with him. Maybe if he had came earlier that day all this wouldn't have happened.  However, being a good muslim made him accept his fate.

"Your daughter loves doing so, i can't even stop her okay, that's the only way she communicate, it's a relief that she is very active, dear."

"Aisha, it seem like you are the least worried about her being like that." It came out rather harshly and he regretted it instantly. He stare at his wife who stop what she was doing, still facing the wardrobe. She swallowed her husband's unintentional  accusation and try to forced a smile, he always tend to lose control whenever it comes to their daughter's matter. And says things he regrets later.

Aisha turn to the bed and pick the last article of clothing there and placed it where it belongs. From her already pale face, Abubakar can see how much he hurts his wife by his mere words as she wasn't even looking his way.

"Sorry, i didn't mean it that way," Aisha walk fast him again. Perhaps existing the room? "I am worried about Yasmin," sadly straightening his posture from the sofa. "The thought whether she will ever get married or live a normal life, is always frightening me." Aisha turn to her husband and sat next to him, flashing him a warm smile.

"I am also worried, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't smile, if we decide to be like Yasi, our entire family will be affected." A small knock comes from the door before Abubakar can say anything. And they all knew who it was.

"Come in, my dear." Yasmin came in with medium tray carrying a bowl of fura and two sachet water. She place the tray on the coffee table in front of her parents. "Well done, my dear. So will you chat with your father? it had been a while since we have done that." She only nodded and find a seat on the carpeted floor next to the sofa. Abubakar mute the telly with remote and turn his attention to his daughter.

"Yasi, my dear, i know this might be sudden to you, but every parent wishes to see their daughters married especially if she have reach the right age. I know you're a bit different from many other girls out there, and i am proud of what you're. However, today i received a proposal from a good friend of mine. He was the same man who visited last two weeks. He visited me today at work and propose an alliance with his son, what do you think about it?" Abubakar knows fully well what he is getting himself into, so he is choosing his words carefully. After all this is not the first time they have received a proposal for Yasmin.

Aisha just gasps and didn't say anything as she already knew what her daughter's answer might be, it may a simple no or a nod. And Abubakar will never press the matter any further. To their surprise Yasmin statement comes out longer than anticipated and left them both in shock and their lips both ajar.