Giving another push, Jordan's arms loosened and I gladly stumbled back a reasonable amount of distance from him.

Simultaneously, he snapped out of his reverie and casted his eyes away from me, running an absentminded hand through his perpetually messy locks.

Clearing my throat, I said with a tone of finality, "Let's just stay out of each other's way and mind our own business, shall we?"

Jordan regarded me with a look of displease but without another word, I hightailed it out of there, leaving behind unanswered questions and a confusing labyrinth of a person I had no interest in uncovering.

The weekend rolled by quicker than I'd preferred and soon, I found myself idly gazing out of the tinted windows on my way to school.

My thoughts occasionally drifted to a certain someone from friday night after I had rejoined the party, which continued without a hitch since bastard Christopher was nowhere to be seen.

Readjusting the bag strap on my shoulder, I made my way to my locker to get what I needed for the day.

"Hey Ana" Dustin greeted, head poking out from behind my locker door.

I gave him a deadpanned face, letting him know I still wasn't fond of this new nickname he had insisted on calling me since he claimed my real one was such a mouthful.

"So have you finished reading Hamlet yet?" Dustin asked, pointedly ignoring my discontented look.

Over the last few weeks, while any sort of semblance to a friendship with Tyler had been slim to none, it was surprisingly the opposite case for Dustin.

Our friendly interactions had extended beyond the same Literature class we found out we shared, eventually leading us to form a mutually casual acquaintanceship.

He had been really patient with me and knew when to not overstep my personal boundaries, I had been hesitant at first considering I was new to this friendship shebang but slowly, I learned to ease myself up a little more to him.

"Of course, I've completed the assignment too." Pulling out my calculus book, I closed my locker door firmly, tugging on it out of habit to make sure it's securely locked.

"You do know it is thumbprint accessed right?" Dustin teased, his eyes glinting mischievously.

"It's a habit I've had since I was a kid, I always double checked the lock on my dairy cabinet." I confessed, trailing beside him as we walked to homeroom.

"Do you still have it?" He jokingly probed, a teasing smile making it's way onto his face.

"No! Of course not!" I defended all too quickly, which caused him to break into a guffaw of snorts.

One glance at Dustin was all it took for a full blown grin to creep up my face, his laughter was infectious as was his easygoing personality.

For someone who had always failed at the act of socialising, Dustin made it all appear effortless and comfortable, his pace matching up to my rhythm.

Being around him allowed me a glimpse of the normal life I envisioned, carefree and peaceful. I had no idea how long this whole charade could last, a large part of me was convinced it was going to all come crashing down soon, just like many others before. Albeit, I couldn't ignore that small flicker of hope burning inside, urging me to let my guard down.

To be open to this potential and flourishing friendship in the making, to be exposed yet also vulnerable.

The old me wouldn't have even budged, preferring to stay within the walls I built, convinced that was the safest way I could protect myself.

Most of these inner changes attributed to Dustin, who slowly but surely guided me towards the light. I know I was gradually becoming a tad more dependent on him, and that thought scared me more than anything.

I wasn't quite sure if I was ready to let go just yet, holding on gave me a sense of familiarity and security. But at the same time, I was starting to also feel tired and miserable, desperately wanting to explore new territories.

Lately, so much within me have changed, it was a self discovery of some sort. Realising how nice it felt to have someone by my side made me never want to retreat back to the old shell I once was.

It resembled a drug, one taste could get you addicted.

However, one look from across the hall brought me back to reality just as quickly.

Dark, brooding and shrouded in mystery, Jordan's piercing eyes imprinted deeply into my mind. Not giving me a chance to forget.

SORRY FOR THE SUPER LATE UPDATE>< I was just a little stucked and I don't want to just rush this chappie and post low quality content. Hopefully it was worth the wait :,)

Things are a little more calm here but there's a saying that goes 'the calm before the storm' ;)

VOTE & COMMENT TO SHOW YOUR LOVE & SUPPORT<33 I cannot THANK you guys ENOUGH for all those who have expressed their love for this story😩 It means so so much to me and motivates me to write even better🥺

xoxo
xuan