One

~ "Does my dark skin offend you?"~

Jaycee Catalina Wei

October 7th; 1:30 P

October 7th; 1:30 P.M.

Jaycee—the sweet, woke, and observant young lady— walked into her Intro to African American Studies class fashionably late at Howard University. Her professor, Mrs. Tamara Fisk, was in her late thirties looking as if she could still run in with Jaycee's crowd had called her out for walking into her classroom late.

"Miss Wei," Mrs. Fisk called out at her and all eyes were on Jaycee, something she truly hated.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Care to explain why you decided to join my class fifteen minutes late?"

"I um, I um, I was um—"

"Words please Miss Wei."

"I got stuck in traffic."

"And where are you coming from knowing that you have my class to attend?"

"The tattoo shop," Jaycee mumbled while playing with the thumbs of her new Full Set. 

"I'm sorry louder please."

"I was leaving the tattoo shop."

"Why yes! I see the fresh sleeve coming down your arm. It's very pretty."

"Thank you, it's my birthday I just wanted to do this and this was the only time I could make my appointment work, I apologize."

"Oh wow, that tattoo must've been real important happy birthday hun. Take a seat please. Back to what I was stating though, we are having an open topic discussion," various responses flew threw the classroom while Jaycee found her seat in the back next to her friends who had saved her a seat, like usual. One of the best parts of sitting back here was Adonis—a tall, brown, Colgate smile, dread head young man. They were casual friends who sometimes hung out and chilled because being in each other's presence is comforting.

"What's the word for today?" Adonis quietly leaned over and asked Jaycee resulting to her digging in her bag and pulling out her orange index card that she had ready for him like always. "Melanin, where my definition,"

"Do you really need one Adonis?"

"I mean I see a gorgeous example but I don't see a definition."

"Fine, a dark brown to black pigmentation that occurs in skin, hair, or the iris of an eye, happy," she asked him while pulling out her notebook and pen to take notes on whatever the topic of discussion is today.

"Who would like to throw out a topic," Mrs.Fisk asked and Alex stood up.

"Me!"

"Okay me, takeover," Mrs.Fisk told her while taking a seat at her desk which is in the corner of the classroom.