Chapter 1 - Deception

"For all that is in the world-the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions-is not from the Father but is from the world." 1 John 2:16 ESV

"Good Morning T-Town! Wake up and get ready to roll! This is a brand new day with new opportunities. Make your day GREAT and don't be LATE!" said Chardai (pronounced Shar - day), the radio announcer on WLEA's Great Day with Chardai. Lyrics from a hot new artist, Zjion, filled Gem's car. Gemini Jordan was a sophomore at Wilson State University. She was riding to campus to meet her friend, Khyra, before their Chemistry class began in a few hours to study for the last time before their final today.

The year was 95... 1995 that is. A time where R&B was the heartbeat of radio but going to church was the vehicle of those whose good ole morals drove their lifestyle. The azaleas were blooming on this first Thursday in May in front of her parent's home on the west side of town. The bread from Taylor's Bakery filled the air in the city.

Driving to campus, Gem began to reminisce on her life. She was raised in a good Southern family. Her dad was a deacon and her mother was a Sunday School teacher. Her younger brother, Rico, was about to graduate from King High School in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in less than 2 weeks. He had grown to be taller than her, had gone to his senior prom with a beautiful classmate a few weeks ago and got accepted into college on a full band scholarship to play drums at Neumann University in Birmingham, Alabama, a popular historically black college about 45 minutes away from their hometown. She remembered her dad taking them fishing and their parents taking them to Orlando to Disneyworld and Sea World when they were both in elementary school. Now, he was the baby... about to leave home and start his new journey in life.

Gem's cell phone began to ring snapping her out of her thoughts. It was Khyra, her beautiful friend who looked like a goddess.

"Hello!" Gem answered after pulling over in her car.
"Hey girl!" Khyra replied on her bulky, black cell phone.
"Where are you? I'm almost there." said Gem.
"I stopped to get us coffee and a bagel. You do eat the everything bagel right?" asked Khyra.
"Girl, you know me like these books we been studying!" Gem said.

Khyra couldn't help but laugh at her sisterfriend. She and Gem met when they were moving into their freshman dorm and hit it off instantly. Gem always made her laugh with her way with words.

"Girl, you're a mess! I'm in line paying so I will see you in about 7 minutes." Khyra explained.
"Alright chic! Thank you cause I'm starving!" Gem replied.
"No problem!" Khyra said. "See ya in a few."

Khyra hung up, paid for their food, jumped into her SUV and headed to WSU's student life center to meet Gem. Gem pulled her black 1995 2 door Honda Civic into a park. She got out and walked in the center to find a table in a quiet area for her and Khyra to study before their exam.

As she walked across the Commons (the place where students normally gathered and laughed, talked and caught up on common events most of the time during lunch or dinner time) with her large, heavy cell phone in her hand, one of her pens dropped out of her backpack. She kneeled down with her beach body frame to pick it up and saw a large caramel covered hand grab it before she retrieved it. Then, out of nowhere, she heard a strong male's voice say, "You lookin' for this?" as she looked right into the eyes of someone she would have only imagined in her dreams would be that close to her.

"Yes I am!" Gem said with a shy smile on her face but never taking her eyes off the prize she seemed to have won a few seconds ago. The young athletically built man who was holding her favorite purple pen gave it back to her and touched her hand and held on to it.

"By the way," he said, my name is Jordan... Jordan Davis.

Gem looked at his 6'2 physique admiring his clear, smooth skin and shyly gazed into his hazel eyes and said, "JD? Omg! Wow! I mean, hi!"