»»»

4th March

Melbourne

Was 2 am considered late? Michael wasn't sure. It obviously wasn't for him, but for normal people? Then again, she wasn't normal. If she was, he surely wouldn't have fallen for her this hard. And he surely wouldn't do something crazy like what he was about to do.
He only hoped he remembered correctly. If he pulled that at the wrong building, he'd probably die of embarrassment -and someone might even call the cops.
With large and hasty steps he neared the apartment building that looked like hers. At least he thought so, it was pretty dark after all and the light provided by the streetlights not the brightest.
It was kind of scary, everything was dead silent. Then again, perhaps it was of advantage that there was no one who could see him.
His breath was visible in front of his face in the cold autumn night. Cheeks red.
Stuffing his hands deep into the pockets of his jacket, he took a turn into the street next to the tall apartment complex.
He remembered from last time. When he'd visited her in December. Her room was the second one from the left on the second floor. Quite easy.

He glanced up, his eyes scanning the windows until they fell on hers. For a moment, he just stood there. Staring at the dark window. Like a creep. Reminding himself of the last time he saw the beautiful Brazilian girl, he cussed under his breath.
He'd been such a coward back then.
A stupid, fucking coward.

He remembered calling Luke one, when he hadn't had the guts to just confess to Tally. And how annoyed Michael had been by that. However, now he understood. It wasn't as easy as it seemed from the outside.

Even though Michael's plan didn't involve directly any confessions, it was something he wanted to do since the first time he'd laid eyes on her. In October. Was that really five months ago?
Shaking his head, he took a deep breath.
He was tired as hell, coming straight from the airport. He knew he could have just waited for tomorrow. However, here was the weird thing: the only time Michael did have actual courage was at night. Past 2 am. Tally was always referring to How I met your mother when hearing that. 'Nothing good happens past 2 am.'
Fuck it,
he mumbled and proceeded with his plan nevertheless. Because it was really time for one of those infamous 'fuck it'-moments again -did you miss them?
If he waited till their actual meet up tomorrow, he'd guaranteed over-think it, panic and chicken out again. No, he couldn't do that for the third time. He couldn't risk that, he couldn't be sure that there was going to be a next time after this.

Luckily the floors weren't too high, making it easy to aim for her window. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most athletic person -or athletic at all for that matter- so he prayed he wouldn't miss it. He couldn't have the cops being called on him.
'5 Seconds of Summer guitarist Michael Clifford caught throwing stones at windows in the middle of the night' -the thought of this made him shiver.
Slowly, he took out the little pabbles he'd collected from where he'd parked his rented car. They weren't big enough to break the glass, but not small enough to get unnoticed.

-Why was this a good idea again?
a) because he only got the courage to ask her now
b) because she wasn't picking up her phone
and c).. well, there wasn't really a third reason. He just wanted to get it over with. Before someone else could.

So he heaved his arm and just hoped for the best.

The first pebble hit the building's facade.
The second one hit the window.
The third one almost hit the window next to hers -which was probably her brother's. Lucky him!
The fourth and fifth one surprisingly hit her window, too.
Now he waited.

He probably should've thought of the possibility of her having a dead sleep and that pebbles alone wouldn't do much. His excuse was that he was young and didn't give a fuck.
-Haha no, actually his excuse was the late hour, but who got the reference?
Anyway, he'd wait a bit and if it didn't seem like she'd have woken up, he'd simply leave in embarrassment, self-pity and misery.
Much to his surprise though, he noticed something moving then. It looked like the curtain was pulled aside by what seemed like a feminine figure.
Oh god, just don't let it be her mum, he internally groaned, not having thought about that his memory might have tricked him and it was the wrong one after all. But as soon as Nayara's confused and sleepy features shone behind the glass, he smiled. Even though he couldn't really recognize a lot, him simply imagining her adorable, sleepy self with the messed hair and without her usual red lipstick, made him smile. And he breathed out in relief.
Waving at her, her eyes grew wide when the brunette disappeared behind the curtain again.
A rush of anxiety hiting Michael like a brick. What if she didn't recognize him? What if she'd wake up her family, telling them about a creep outside her window?
Maybe that had been a stupid idea after all. Maybe it was true that nothing good ever happened past two o'clock.