1.7 best friends

»»» song: luca vasta - black tears white lies

28th August

'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages,' Shakespeare wrote in one of his many plays once.
We were all just playing our own role in this play called 'life', starring in our own versions of it.
-Playwriter? Who- or whatever you believe in.
What actually mattered was that we, as the actors and actresses, gave 'life' to our characters. Even if some parts might be already 'written', some others were still up to us to take charge of.
Or was that also pre-written?

However, your part, even if seemingly irrelevant and small, could become the starring role in someone else's heart (to paraphrase a song by one of my favorite singers). And the other way round.
One of the most important ones probably being the role of the best friend, though. They were that one person, your life would be empty without. Having no one to share secrets, laughs, cries, frustrations and memories with.
A complicated and important role.

»»»

Sleep wasn't Tally's friend. At least not her best friend. Never there for her when she needed it the most -a lousy excuse of a friend at most! Despite loving it so much, it didn't always return the love back.
This night wasn't much different from the past weeks. Though she had to admit, this particular week had to be the most frustrating one. Feeling his presence only three little stairs apart was enough to keep her awake.
She literally didn't know what to do or think anymore. Her head hurt from either the emotional mess all the thinking and worrying put her through, or the lack of sleep -or both.

They had returned from their little 'camping trip' only a few hours ago. Tired from all the wandering around the forest, the guys immediately going to sleeping. She could even hear a soft snoring coming from next door. Her acute ear becoming a real bother sometimes.
Anyway, while probably everyone in the city was sleeping -except the one driving down the road on their loud motorbike- she was the only one left rolling around in her sheets. Feeling the fibres of her body stiffening with every turn.
Her mind was on overdrive by now.

Sitting up abruptly, her hand searched around on the ground of the dark room. When she finally touched the surface of her phone, she picked it up, unlocking it.
It was past 3 am. With a sigh, she went to her contacts. She wasn't sure whether she should call or not. It was one in England and she knew her best friend. She'd go sleep even at nine, if she didn't have anything to do.

Truth was Tally hadn't spoken to her in a long time. Except that they never had been the type of 'bff' who'd call each other every day -they'd both been busy.
Though, whenever they got to speak on the phone or meet up, it'd always be like old times. They'd chat and laugh for hours, like back in school when teachers had admonished them for talking during lessons or at their breaks.
Now, they were only chatting online sometimes. And even rarer since Tally got the job of being a tour photographer, travelling around the world.
Neither had she been with her at her birthday and probably wouldn't be at her next either.
Perhaps that was the reason she'd got so easily attached to the four guys sleeping peacefully a few doors further. And maybe this was also the reason she'd fallen in love so easily and naively. Just because she'd felt lonely and Luke was there to cheer her up.
Pathetic. But was it really her fault?

She wanted to cry at the memories of the good old days, adding up to her already misery state.
Wiping under her teary eyes, she eventually managed to click the number on the screen. Seeing it dialing.
Putting it on her ear, she went silent. Waiting. But with every beep that passed, her hope got less and less that her best friend would pick it up.
Biting down her chappy lips, she hung up. And again no one to talk with. The apartment being full of people, but those being the last ones she'd be able talking about this problem with.
Slowly she sank back on her pillow.
A feeling of loneliness and lostness overcoming her anew.
And she realised that wherever in the world she was, this would always remain. No matter where or with who she might be.
At night, she'd be left alone. Only her thoughts accompanying her.