Chapter 24 - Custody

Start from the beginning

How could you sit still?

With the moon full, you climbed out of the window of the inn and dropped to the ground without a sound. You couldn't ask the inn couple for permission to leave. They would surely refuse and secure you tighter to the inn.

But you weren't made for cleaning.

You slinked off towards the city, determined to find out more information on the Rebellion and their current status.

There was only one place you could think of that might have an answer.

The Red House.

The summer breeze was humid, and it stuck to the beads of sweat dripping down your back. Quietly you followed the road from the safehouse to the city, keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

After Taehyung, you couldn't be too cautious.

You really think I'm incompetent, don't you?

No... I think you're too competent and under-experienced. That's even more dangerous.

You replayed Taehyung's last words to you in your head. What did he mean?

Trying to decipher the meaning, and utilizing every stealth technique you had learned from Hoseok and Taehyung, you made it to the city. You were drenched in your own sweat, but the feeling was more comforting than disgusting. It reminded you of your training back at camp.

A camp you'd never see again.

You followed the city road to the bridge. The same bridge you had jumped to escape from Namjoon. That seemed like a lifetime ago now.

    Once you reached the bridge, you could see the glowing lights of the Red House. You wished you had a veil. Not that it mattered. If Namjoon or Hoseok were there, they would be able to see right through it.

Your heart fluttered, wondering if either one of them would be there.

    You approached the entrance, laughter and drunken cheering pouring into your ears before you had even made it all the way inside. A few heads turned when you walked in, but no one took notice for long. You weren't wearing the same lavish clothes you had when you were in Hoseok's company.

    You scanned the room, holding your breath.

    No Hoseok. Also, no Namjoon.

    You exhaled as your stomach sank. What if you never saw Hoseok again? Would he care? Did he hate you that much?

    You pushed through the crowds of people, heading towards the back room. You remembered the knock, and you raised your hand to give it yourself.

    "Hey!" a female voice cried on the other side of the door. "What do you think you're doing?"

    You stopped.

    "Eye for an eye," a familiar male voice calmly replied.

There was a gasp. Then a cry.

Thud.

You knew that voice...

    You swung open the door, expecting to see him. But it wasn't Hoseok.

    Jin turned his head to you, flicking the dagger in his wrist that was now dripping in blood. Your eyes fell to the body next to his feet, dressed in a beautiful gown that was open in all the tempting places.

    You held down the bile in your stomach

    You held down the bile in your stomach. Jin's heavy boots pounded against the ground as he stepped over the body, his eyes fixed on you.

    "You came at a bad time," he said, flicking the dagger again.

    You didn't reply. You ran.

    You ran back out the door, back over the bridge. You checked over your shoulder for Jin, but he wasn't in sight. You slowed down for a moment, legs shaking from what you had seen.

    Did Yoongi...? No. Yoongi wouldn't kill a woman. Then why would Jin...

    You stepped forward to sprint back to the safehouse, but your body hit the ground before you could even take a step. A boot came to the back of your knee, folding it, sending you sprawling to the ground. A pair of hands came from behind, twisting your hands behind your back.

    "I told you I would drag you," a voice commanded in your ear.

    That voice you could never mistake for another.

    You turned your head around to see Namjoon's cold eyes burning into you.

"No running this time," he said, more of a threat than a statement.

You glared at him.

He lifted you to your feet, holding both your hands behind your back as he locked you in his arms to face him. His eyes looked down on you, pride swelling up in the corners.

"Where's your master?" he taunted.

You clenched your jaw.

Footsteps came behind you, and for a brief moment you hoped it was Hoseok himself to answer the question.

But it was Jin.

Jin looked between you and Namjoon, raising an eyebrow.

"Did you do what I asked?" Namjoon asked, still looking at you.

"It's taken care of," Jin replied.

You looked into Namjoon's heavy, dark eyes as the words settled into your brain.

You shook your head at him. "You? You ordered Jin to..."

He nodded. His hands gripped yours behind your back as he leaned closer to your ear.

"I know where you've been..." he whispered. "And you're not going back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SOUNDTRACK: Me, myself, and I (Instrumental) - G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha

Thank you for 5000 followers! As a gift, I've started a short story called AN INCONVENIENT FRIENEMY. You can find it under MARRIAGE OF ROYAL INCONVENIENCE. Hope you like it!