Chapter 13: Visitor

Magsimula sa umpisa

My eyes landed on Exene and he's clearly asking for help.

I sighed.

"Does your wound hurt?" I asked. He just stared at me like I askes a dumb question. Hindi ba niya nagegets na ready na akong magpanggap ngayon?

I prevented the urge to roll my eyes.

"Who's she?" Tanong ng babae. 

My eyes darted to the girl and did a slight bow. I was about to answer when Exene answered. 

"My girlfriend." 

I almost tripped on my foot. Nang mapatingin ako sa babae, she doesn't even seem fazed by it. Instead, she smiled and walked towards me and held both my hands. 

"I've heard about you. I hope we'll get along well. I am your boyfriend's fiancé." 

Kumunot ang noo ko. She smiled. A very beautiful smile as she kissed both my cheeks.

"Well then, I'll be staying in this house for a while. I guess I'll see you around." She said before she turned to Exene and gave him a very sweet smile.

She gave me one last look before she went out. Exene slumped on the chair habang minamasahe ang kanyang ulo.

"She's—"

"Incredulous." Dugtong niya sa nais kong sabihin.

"She doesn't care if you have a girlfriend. She's the fiancé after all."

"No. She's not." He said dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya.

"Dad is coming home next week. I'll announce our marriage the moment he arrives."

Napalunok ako ng laway.

"What about the Princess?"

"We have a week to send her away."

"That's rude, Exene."

"What do you suggest we do then?"

"Let's talk to her first. Tell her that we..." I bit my lip. "Tell her that we are getting married."

"And tell her we're madly inlove?" He scoffed. "You don't know her, Liliana. She won't believe that shit. Didn't you hear her earlier?"

"I know, I know. Just let her think whatever she wants. We have bigger problems, you have bigger problems to deal with."

He caught my gaze before he stood and straightened his clothes. "You're right. The guards are already dispatched all around the city. How's the patients?" He said before he move behind his table.

"Recovering well. I received a report from the hospital that some of the patients are already discharged."

"Good. I had guards on the village to help them repair their damaged homes. Not a lot of damage thankfully."

He is good at it. Being a leader, being a Duke. Seeing him so dedicated to his position makes Emerich Sardon look like a spoiled little asshole. There are really people who are born to lead.

"The bandits. The one who did this. Is it connected to the one named Apollo?"

"Everything is connected to him. From thieving, ambush, slavery and a lot more—all are his doings. I just don't know why he seems more...agressive these days. He doesn't usually attack villages. He kidnaps women and that's it."

"Why did he do it now?"

"He wants something and he's sure I'm not giving it to him so he's resorting to these tactics instead. To threaten."

Napalunok ako ng laway.

"The ambush—when we were ambushed in the woods, those men said they want me. And those are Apollo's men, right?"

He looked at me as if he already know it. My blood chilled.

"Why do they want me? Why does he want me?"

He sighed. As if what he's about to say is hard to tell.

"My guess is that Emerich Sardon has found out you are here and he wants you. So he's allying with the famous criminal in this city to help him get you."

I thought about it but didn't really pay it much attention.

"I'm the cause of all of these?"

"No. That's just a guess. We're not certain if that's true. And besides, even if it's true, Emerich Sardon knows the consequence of hurting a member of my house. You are a member of my house and also my fiancé. He's not stupid enough to wage war against Oregon."

I met his gaze and there was fire in it. Something you can see if someone's really determined to do something.

"I'm going to protect you, Liliana. You have my word."

I'm used to being able to protect myself. Used to be so independent that I didn't know how it would feel if someone wants to do it for you. I never thought it could be this heart warming.

With a few steps, I closed our distance. With a tip of my toes, I leaned to kiss his cheek.

"Thank you." I said before I walked out of that room blushing profusely.

* * *