A twinge on your cheek distracted you further and you lifted your hand to relieve the urge by scratching at the mark – only for you to hiss in pain, irritating the cut on your cheekbone, the one you received from Obito's harsh punch to your face during your eye-opening fight with him. 

Watching the whole thing, Obito's entire posture dropped, guilt harrowing his features as he turned his down casted head to the ground in front of him.

"...I didn't want to do it." His low, meager voice caught your attention.

"What do you –"

Obito snapped his head in your direction in silence before you could finish, his sulky eyes blatantly regarding the wound he inflicted on you.

"Oh... that," was all you could come up with under his scrutiny.

Obito was referring to more than just the cut on your cheekbone. The sheer torture that afflicted him during that fight with you was unbearably overwhelming for him, but he did it for you. You became stronger because of it. You knew this.

"Don't worry about it. Please."

Obito's sorrowful expression remained unchanged.

"You know, Obito... I didn't get the chance to thank you for accepting my challenge earlier. I love that you respect my skills enough to go all out on me. I know that it wasn't an easy thing to do, seeing how I couldn't find it in me to go through what you did. I may have the upper hand in protection, but on all other levels, you beat me with your phenomenal willpower. I hope that you grew from our fight, too."

Obito's entire body lit up in realization. He went against what his brain told him during that fight and went with his heart instead. All he wanted was for you to recognize your skills and grow into a better shinobi from it. It was right then that Obito realized you shared his goal, but you concentrated on his development while he focused on yours. Both of you became stronger people from that fight. He mentally kicked himself for not seeing your intentions for him earlier. From the bottom of his heart, Obito truly couldn't ask for a more thoughtful and kindhearted partner.

"...And I'm glad you were able to fight back, even just a little bit," he voiced softly, peering at the vermillion sky. "The fact that you were able to do that so bravely is proof of just how strong you really are, (y/n)."

Obito's walking pattern synchronized with yours as he followed you down a path not traveled through often. You thought that it was unusual, but something inside of you insisted that this was the right path to go down.

~~~

~~~

The path led you to a familiar opening; the evening sun's gentle and placid luminescence allowed you to recognize it clearly. You and Obito strolled stiffly, cramped with anticipation, through the area where you first learned about his feelings for you. It was then you understood why this place felt so familiar. It was the same spot where Obito stumbled upon you as children over a decade ago. The pond that transported you to this world was in clear view a short distance away.

You directed your line of sight from that pond over to a nearby bench surrounded by cherry blossom trees – their branches lacking the ravishing pink petals as they had already blossomed and faded away with the change in season. You cautiously sat down, waiting for your best friend to join you – only for him to idle in place with reluctance radiating off his body.

You presented Obito with a puzzled look as one of his arms reached behind and fidgeted against his back. He intentionally avoided your gaze, his mouth hidden under the elevated collar of his Uchiha cloak. Clearly, he wanted to do something.