Something Extraordinary

A/N: As of 5/4/2022, I made some more overall changes to the chapter. I updated a lot of the dialogue and added a bit more action. Another thing I noticed while editing is that this chapter felt... a bit darker in tone than I was going for, so I removed a lot of detail to keep it more within the spirit of Naruto (even though let's be real, Naruto did get super dark at times and it was AWESOME!)

Please let me know what you think of the changes, and if there is anything else you would like to see!

Also, this chapter's picture was drawn by obmm0521 on Tumblr! ^^

~~~

Throughout his entire journey, Kabuto took leisurely steps to the village gates, with you tailing him from afar. Your cover was almost blown once or twice, but you had the good sense to hold your breath, keep a discreet distance, and not go too close. It was strange. You knew that Kabuto was a superior spy; it seemed unusual that his skills hadn't alarmed him to your presence, yet.

The shadowing took forever, but eventually Kabuto paused with his back facing you in the middle of a clearing surrounded by dense trees and flora just within the Land of Fire's borders.

Seems like an appropriate place to set up a hideout, with all of the exotic resources around here. Now I need to find the right time to jump out and knock this asshole out.

"Alright, the fun's over. You should come out now," Kabuto's sudden announcement startled you into a standstill.

H-huh?!

"Yes, I mean you," he added while casually whirling to your direction. "Just know that you don't have a choice in the matter. There's no need to make this hard on yourself."

At that, you scooted out from your hidden spot in the florescent vegetation, trying hard to wear a façade of confidence on your face, but the bead of sweat smoothly rolling down your temple revealed your true reaction.

"My apologies that the trip took so long, it's a new location, you see. But we're here."

Of course he knew I was following him the whole time. This can never be easy.

You slowly approached Kabuto, caution riddling your every step. "You remember who I am... don't you, Kabuto?"

He raised an eyebrow and stated, "I could never forget a face like yours. Especially not after the scene you made at the exams today."

At that, your hand tensed up into a tight fist with the whites of your knuckles clearly visible. "All that was your fault, and you know it! You told me that-"

"I did not tell you anything," he interjected. "I merely smiled, and you had hastily formed your own conclusions."

"Even so," you huffed back. "I know what your game is now. And what's more, Minato now knows about you, too. So just let me take you in and you can explain to everyone why you would threaten village security, or I'll call the Hokage myself."

You may have been close to eight years older than Kabuto, but that didn't stop his posture from displaying that he remained completely unintimidated by your short and meek features.

"Don't try and fool me with a macho act. Remember, I know who you are. I have intel on everyone in the Hidden Leaf Village."

"So why did you let me believe that I was tracking Orochimaru?"

Kabuto didn't speak for a moment, as if he were analyzing you even further.

"I still am uncertain how you are already aware of my association with Orochimaru. I would've never guessed there was a mole within the Hidden Leaf Village, other than me," Kabuto observed while pressing his pointer finger to the bridge of his glasses to adjust them. "But it doesn't matter. I find it fascinating that you'd even attempt to track me back to our base. Usually we have to utilize forceful means for our subjects to comply when escorting them."