Trial 2 cont.

"Was that always there?" Chess asked, almost as if he was reading Yuu's mind. He simply shook his head, and stood away from the shoreline. Chess followed, she was just as hesitant as he was in this situation.

"You think it's an animal?" Chess continued, to be honest Yuu didn't know what to think about it. Whatever it was, as long as it didn't come close they wouldn't bother it.

"Let's just move away from whatever that is." Chess nodded, although it looked like she had several other questions. But she went against asking them since she didn't exactly think that Yuu knew how to answer them.

As the day continued on, night soon quickly approached. Causing both Yuu and Akane to seek shelter.

It had begun to drizzle, and they feared it was going to become a full blown rain. Their fire however, was thankfully protected thanks to the leaves on top of it.

"We shouldn't stray too far away from the fire." He said, watching the river quietly.

They were both looking around for a good place for the night. They an option of a small cave, but that was across the river.

The jungle seemed like an ok choice, if it wasn't dark. They could cross the river where it was shallow. Whatever was in the river wasn't there anymore.

Yuu knew that this could be an extremely bad idea, one that could go downhill very easily. But he has to try and take a chance.

If he didn't, it could hinder their abilities tomorrow, especially if they ended up catching a cold of some sort.

"We have to cross the river." Yuu said suddenly, causing Chess to turn around and rush towards him. "What? Really?"

Yuu slowly nodded, causing Chess to look at the river grimly. It looked dark and murky all of a sudden. Loosing it's crystal clear waters.

Maybe because now they were really fearing the river instead of being thankful for finding it. Whatever the reason was, Chess didn't want to swim in the water.

They walked along the shoreline, testing to see where they could wade through quickly. It wasn't that deep anymore, at least not yet since the storm didn't truly start yet.

"If we are going to do this, we have to do this now." She said, stopping at a place that they could easily wade through.

"Just follow me, and walk through quickly, I'll go first. If anything happens, run towards the closest shore.

She stayed silent, as Yuu finally stepping in. He was walking through the water, it sloshing gently at his thighs. Until it slowly became deeper.

Finally, they began to swim once it was deep enough. Chess swam closely behind.  But unbeknownst to the both of them, a dark figure was following behind underwater.

It began to rain harder as they continued, "don't worry Chess we're almost-"

He didn't know why he paused.  But he knew something wasn't right, call it his sixth sense.  "Chess hurry we need to get out quickly."  He said as calmly as he could.

Enough to not freak her out entirely but to sense the state of urgency in his voice. 

She swam forward trying not to freak out, as she did, Yuu pulled her in front of him, closer to the land.  "Just keep swimming don't look back.  Even if I-"

Whatever Yuu was going to say was cut off by a splash and a cut off yelp.  Chess turned around realizing she was all alone now.

Thrashing around she looked around before looking down at the murky water.  She couldn't see anything but she was almost 100% sure he was pulled under there. 

Diving down she couldn't see anything, she dove under several times searching for some kind of life in the water.

Her heart was beating at an incredible speed, and she didn't know what to do.  She couldn't do anything.  All she could do was hope that Yuu could hold his breath.  Several seconds pasted, before she heard a splash of water and hoarse coughing.

"Yuu-"

"Hurry to the shore!"  He yelled and started swimming.  Chess did as well, when it was shallow enough, she began to run.  Yuu followed however, he was limping.

Once they made it safely on the shore Yuu told Chess to go to the cave.  She scurried forward, scared for both of their lives. 

Once they were both safe,  she turned around to see Yuu collapsed, coughing up river water.  

"Yuu!"  She said, alarmed rushing towards him.  Now that she could truly inspect him, he was definitely injured.  It looked almost as if a-

"A black caiman, it wasn't a regular one.  It was huge."  He said, coughing.  "I could barely escape, he practically throttled me around like a rag doll." 

He winced a little, before laying his head against the dry stone wall.  It hurt more than he was letting on.  Hopefully it was a flesh wound just as he thought.

His left leg was eaten up, he still some how had all is digits.  But he would definitely need some stitches.  His right leg had a small bite, but not as bad as the other one.

"We need to wrap it up."  She said, "to stop the blood loss."  She swallowed before tearing at her outfit.  She had enough clothe to wrap it around him.

He groaned,  shifting his legs.  He was beginning to feel tired.  "Stay awake Yuu."  She said, stopping his thoughts.
'I can't disinfect it right now.  I can't even put clean water on it.  For now I can pray that it won't get an infection.

'But how did he escape?'  She thought silently as she stared at him.  He was breathing heavily, eyes closed.    'I'll watch him.  Please stay alive Yuu.'

As the night passed, Chess woke up when she heard loud chirping coming from around her.  Jerking up, she looked at Yuu, who was still asleep, and thankfully breathing.

'Thank god he is a fighter.'

Getting up, she hurried around for flammable objects.  Once she gathered them, she repeated the process Yuu had done to build the fire.

After many trials and errors, she had finally done it.  Carefully she carried the fresh wet leaf towards the cave.

Yuu was sleeping but he definitely needed more fluids.  Tapping him softly,  he shifted around before fluttering his eyes open. 

Tilting his head back, she gave him some water, making several trips until she deemed he was sated.  She could tell that Yuu was out of it.  Still blurry and unsure of himself.

She went out for food, thankful to find a burry bush nearby.  She was pretty sure it wasn't poisonous.  But just in case she tasted it herself before giving Yuu some.

She fed him some berries, she knew Yuu was weak.  It she couldn't help feel that somehow it was her fault.  For pushing Yuu to go and cross the river.  She hadn't been thinking, now Yuu was hurt and weakened because of her.

After hours passed, it seemed his sleepiness finally wore off, as he awoke, this time being aware of his surroundings.  Before stopping at Chess and sighing in relief. 

They had made it, but Yuu could help feel some sort of confusion.  Moving around he let out a curse, before looking at his legs.

"What happened?"

(Sorry for late update)