Chapter 17- "True Colors"

Nathan- 

I heard Savannah's soft steps approaching my door, and the moment my ears registered the sound, my heart thumped unnaturally fast and harsh in my chest. Sighing and mentally half-rolling my eyes at my jittery state, I waited for her to knock and make her appearance. 

Each time she walked through my door, it's as if I was seeing her for the first time all over again. The fair skin on her face almost often caught light at the right angle, making her brown eyes and well-contoured cheeks enlighten with a special kind of beauty. There was also a wind in her momentum, causing the free lock of hair hanging on the right side of her face float next to her ear.

"I spoke to Natalie, she's settled in for the night. You're supposed to take your pain medication again at 10:15 PM, and then tomorrow you'll take them as needed. As for the morning, breakfast will be late because someone from the outpatient center is supposed to come in and check on your knee." She reported without falter, and I almost missed every word she spoke because I couldn't stop watching her mouth. 

Savannah was efficient in everything. I had to admit that. 

"Are you done with your dinner?" She then asked. 

Blinking, I focused on her entire face once more, and just like my initial shock earlier this afternoon, I had to ask myself if Savannah was truly here, in my home... helping me.

Before I could truly dwell on my thoughts, my curiosity took the reigns on my tongue.

"Why are you here?" I demanded, "like truly here. Why?" 

Savannah blinked and shook her head subtly. She wasn't taken aback by my question. No, in fact, she was annoyed. This was my third time asking her this question today, but still, I needed a response.

"I'm just trying to help." She admitted, and I hated the kindness in her tone. 

It gave me goosebumps. No one could truly be this good and kind. No one. Not even soft-hearted Savannah. 

"That's not true." I denied, refusing to believe it. 

Then my heart skyrocketed and my brain heated in anxiety. 

"Because you know me so well, right?" Her tone dripped with sarcasm. 

That's the reaction I was looking for. Savannah wasn't truly pure of heart. There was something for her to gain from this... there had to be.

If it wasn't to laugh at my misery, then...

The eyes of my suspicious mind suddenly widened in realization. That was it. My humiliation. Savannah was here to revel in my humiliation. 

"You're not here to help," I accused, "at least not entirely. You're taking great joy in this, seeing me here, helpless and defenseless." 

Savannah frowned, "what are you trying to say?" 

"This is your way of getting payback for what happened back in high school, isn't it?" I speculated, unaware that I was sounding like a far reaching conspiracy theorist. 

I imagined my eyes to be wide and dazed, and with every sentence I spoke, I was ready to lick my teeth with a gasping mouth and forced nods of my head. 

Savannah looked at me, then she laughed bitterly. 

It was coming. Her true colors would show. All she needed was a little shove. Savannah wasn't all that perfect and kind and sweet. No. She was just as flawed as me. She'd make the same mistakes I once made. All I needed was to draw it out of her. 

"You think I'm happy that you screwed up your knee and didn't get your chance to be great and play for the team of your dreams? You think that I'm sticking around just to humiliate you?" Savannah pointed, and my heart thumped again.