Chapter 15- "Scars" Part- 3

Narrator- 

Savannah and Nathan remained head-locked in a silent raging battle of wills fueled by their close proximity and burning, interlocked gazes. 

Nathan's fingers warmed and moistened while holding Savannah's arm. Their bodies were almost connected at the hips, their chests just a breath apart. His right fingers slowly tightened into a fist while resting against the car's metallic edge at Savannah's stubbornness. 

Across from him, Savannah's toes began to remind her why she appreciated having sat through all those speeches earlier in the evening. Her heelbones were also crying out in pain, as burning bursts of torturous aches shot along the length of her leg and ankle muscles. 

A soft wind finally blew through the trees overhead. It's flirtatious whistle encouraged the leaves to sing their ruffling notes, as the stubborn duo remained as still as two perfectly crafted marble lovers in a Greek temple. Their gazes so strong and determined, as if challenging the very barrier keeping them from touching at the lips, and engulfing themselves in a much yearned embrace.

Seeing that the pain in her legs only grew the more she refused to move at Nathan's will, Savannah gulped and blinked, then she drew in a breath. 

"I'm only getting in, because my toes are killing me." Then taking a pause lifting herself to an almost chest-to-torso position with Nathan, she added, "otherwise, I would've stabbed you in the foot with my heel." 

Nathan smirked, "whatever makes you feel empowered you distinguished damsel." 

Sizing Nathan's face with her eyes, Savannah gladly pushed his grip from her arm with her right hand, then she turned and ducked into the car. 

Stepping back, Nathan pushed the door shut and walked around to his side. Then hopping in, he revved his engine and sped off to Savannah's house, where he proceeded to drop her off without a word. Savannah exited the car and entered her home without a syllable of adieu to Nathan, and yet it didn't occur to Nathan that he remained stationary outside her property, until he was sure that she was not only stowed inside the walls of her abode, but also locked the door. 

Monday morning, Savannah returned to the office, well rested and refreshed. Of course Grant was in extra early to ensure that he greeted her and also delivered a small home-baked strawberry shortcake sent by his wife. Nancy was also at the office earlier than usual, to welcome Savannah back. 

After exchanging casual words with her coworkers, Savannah entered the office and proceeded to follow her morning routine. Turning on her computer and logging on her account, Savannah set out her daily planner and other comfort items, then she headed to the break room to make Nathan's coffee. 

Once the coffee maker beeped, Savannah checked her watch. It was 8:07 AM, and Nathan wasn't in yet. 

Frowning at the unusual tardiness given her boss was always on time, Savannah poured Nathan's coffee anyway, and waited for his arrival. By 8:30 AM, the boss was still a no show.

Covering the cup, Savannah headed back to her desk and retrieved her phone. There were no missed calls or texts from Nathan detailing why he was so late. By 9:30 AM, Savannah was officially worried.

Sending a text message to Nathan's phone, Savannah sat at her desk and patiently waited for a response, and yet, by 10:30 AM and three other unanswered messages later, there was still no word or apparition of her boss. 

At 10:35 AM Savannah stopped biting her inner cheek out of anxiety and decided to call Nathan. The phone rang without response. Trying twice more, Savannah determined that Nathan couldn't be reached. Then her computer dinged, reminding her that she still had her clerical duties to care for.