Chapter 17

March 2017 | N O W | Truth Is

"Ready to go, Champ?"

            Sterling asked Grayson as he walked down the stairs with his bags. I was too busy hugging and kissing on my son because I knew that this was going to be a long week without him. I was going to miss him so much and his birthday couldn't have been at the worst time of my life where I've just found out about me being pregnant, me having it out with Monice, and trying to decide if my relationship was being deceived.

            With Grayson leaving for Barbados with his Aunt Ophelia, I was a little nervous. I didn't doubt that my baby was in good hands with Charleston's aunt, but I was still worried. He'd been antsy all day, unsure of what to expect or even how to react when seeing his dad in person for the first time in about three years. I was so nervous for him because I couldn't be there to tell him that it was okay, but I couldn't show it, or he would catch on to it and not want to go.

            Grayson always fed off of my energy when something wasn't right. He'd call it and then not want to go, for sure. I couldn't have that and I couldn't take this moment away from Charleston. Charleston deserved to spend a birthday with his one and only son. It was only fair.

            Sterling looked at me and smiled. Trying to remain positive, I smile back.

            "I'm going to FaceTime you every chance that I get." I tell Grayson as I grabbed for his hand. He frowned.

            "Remember. This is supposed to be fun." I remind him.

            "Okay." He said.

            Sterling grabbed his car keys.

            "Can I tag along?" I say, really not wanting to be home alone with Monice.

            Things between us have been extremely awkward.

            Sterling looked at me with a strict demeanor.

            "Babe, you're on bedrest." He reminded me.

            "I know, but I want to just be there when he goes to get on the plane." I beg.

            "I'll be fine, mom." Grayson assured me.

            "Babe, you're on bedrest. You shouldn't even be down here on your feet right now. We got this." Sterling told me, he and Grayson high-fiving each other.

            "Yea, we got this. I'll tag along and record a video for you if you'd like." Monice said as she came from out of the kitchen.

            She'd been trying to get on my good side and failing miserably. Just her being here annoyed the hell out of me. And if she thought that she was going to be going anywhere with my husband alone, she was out of her damn mind.

            I sighed, already annoyed for the day.

            "Or... Monice can stay with me and make sure I'm fine." I object, sarcastically, but seriously, standing my ground. She wasn't going anywhere with Sterling.

            "Oooor...I can stay here..." She smiled, weirdly.

            "Babe, we'll be fine." Sterling assured me again.

            Grayson and Sterling headed out and I stood there with my arms folded, staring at Monice with the look of pure destruction. I knew that she could sense it because she looked at me.