Chapter Twenty-One ➳ Campfire

Shaurya

The cool breeze rushes through the beach as we decide to pack the food up, once everyone finished. Everyone got together and helped clean up the trash, pack up the food we spread out and settle into a huge circle around the campfire.

I settle around Nathan and Anika, who sits closely to me. After what happened during musical chairs... I don't know, but there seems to be this vibe that blossoms between us. Something that causes an uneasy feeling in me, in a good way, and makes me feel like I need to do something about it.

Dozens of people gather around the campfire as Nathan taps me on the shoulder. "Dude, you should make an announcement. It's perfect timing!"

"Yeah, I'm about to," I respond. "Just kind of thank everyone who came, ya know?"

"Definitely," he nods his head.

I take a deep breath and comb my fingers through my hair. I'm used to public speaking, honestly. Having a rich and famous businessman of a father kind of made me adjusted to speaking to random people and in front of huge crowds, so I'm technically not even allowed to have public speaking fears. And I honestly was never the type of guy to be afraid to speak in front of others.

Standing up, I walk over to the center of the circle, near the campfire, and clear my throat. Some chattering quiets down, but most of it still remains. I attempt to quiet them down again by yelling, "Hey!" but some of it still stays. As I try another time, someone beats me to it and shouts, "HEY, EVERYONE... SHUT UP!"

Thanks, Nathan.

Everyone finally silences and turns their undivided attention to me. I clear my throat again and breathe out, "Thank you everyone for coming tonight to my party. Let's make some noise!" Everyone hoots and hollers and I swear I just saw a bra flying across the circle, followed by giggles from a group of guys and girls. I try to suppress a smile and add, "And thanks for making this party such a success. Out of all the parties I threw, I gotta admit, this has got to be the best one yet.

"But the party's not over yet," I slyly add. There are a few oohs and ahs coming from the group as I bite my lip in anticipation. "I have a few things  planned to wrap up this party at... let's say, 3 o clock?"

"Four o clock!" Someone shouts.

"Four o clock it is!" I add, grinning. "Back to what I was saying... I have countless of things prepared for us, like spooky stories in the dark, spin the bottle, you name it!"

Everyone starts to cheer my name and I feel a smile growing on my face. I look over at Anika who gives me a thumbs up and smiles. Smirking, as I start to sit down, I holler, "Let's get this campfire started!"

We all sit down on the sand. I'm sitting on the towel that Anika and I are sharing right now and Nathan and Emma are besides me, who are sitting on one towel, or let's say a fourth of a towel is being used because they're just that touchy touchy to each other.

On Anika's side are her friends, Em and Ty, who sit on one towel and look excited to join this campfire. I've got to admit, this is one of the most unique parties I've ever thrown. I mean, I've had parties at my house, at college, at a bar, you name it, but I've never thrown one at the beach which is really ironic because I live literally five minutes away from Oakland beach.

I look over at the sunset, which is casting a beautiful contrast in the sky. It starts from a blood red, then to an orange color all the way to a yellow hue. The sun is a dark red as it floats above the waters, which fall majestically onto the sand. The beach is such a peaceful place, and I love my decision to host my party here.