Chapter Twenty-Seven ➳ Neil Roy

Anika

Shaurya rings the doorbell, a faint chime erupting into the air. Silence. I stand there alongside him, feeling my heart beat so fast against my chest to the point where I think it's going to lurch out of my throat. I am about to meet Shaurya's father, who is no other than Neil Roy: business mogul, millionaire-- or a billionaire, perhaps-- and possibly the richest man in western California. And most importantly of all... a man who holds high importance in society, and compared to me, he is a boulder, and I am nothing but a mere pebble.

Several long seconds later, the door creaks open, and I peer inside as I see a vast entrance room. My mouth gapes open, and before I can study my surroundings even further, I see a man with black and white tux on, his dark hair neatly combed to the left. He seems to be in his mid 40s, considering his almost graying hair and his slightly wrinkled face. The man seems to be skinny and tall, almost the same height as Shaurya. He sports a grin on his face. "Hello, Mr. Shaurya Roy. It is nice to see you."

"It's nice to see you too, Robert." Shaurya turns towards me whilst gesturing towards this man that seems to be called Robert. "This is my girlfriend, Anika. Anika, this is my father's butler and wingman, Robert."

"Ah, I wouldn't say wingman per se, but butler I am definitely am," Robert chuckles as we shake hands. Once that encountered diminished, he allowed us to step inside into the massive vicinity.

The first thing I set my eyes on is the massive chandelier held in the center of the room, its golden lights shimmering against the ceiling, casting its aura upon the area. Then, my eyes zero in on the marble flooring, polished ever-so slightly that not even a speck of dust seems to be present on the flawless tilings. The high walls represent many paintings and decorations of all sorts, ranging from an intricate design to a painting that seemed to be flourished by an all-knowing figure. The entire place holds an elegance atmosphere, relishing within the modest designs and furnitures, and I continue to gape at the astonishing feats displayed right in front of my very own eyes.

I feel a nudge at my shoulder. "Cat got your tongue?" Shaurya jokes, and I chuckle. "This is... so beautiful. Holy shit."

He lightly laughs, adjusting his disheveled dark hair. "I know. My dad really worked hard for all of this, so I guess we can say hats off to him." I let out a laugh. "Yeah, definitely."

Robert leads us into the massive living room, where a white leather couch wraps around the area, and a completely glass coffee table stands in the middle, holding a few books and a small statue of something that I can't seem to acknowledge from this distance. There is an aquarium on the side, showcasing a variety of aquatic mammals, and the pristine water glows against the bright lights. Finally, the massive TV mounted on the wall, right across from the couch, stands big and bold, and right below is a fireplace that seems to be on, crackling noises erupting out of it.

Finally, we go from the cozy living room into another open space where there is a huge dining table present in the middle of the vicinity. Shaurya and I sit there, sitting side by side, and Robert starts to speak. "Mr. Roy is in the middle of a meeting right now, so when it finishes, I will let him know his son and his girlfriend is here."

"Okay, thank you, Robert," Shaurya gleams, and Robert disappears into one of the many hallways. I take a deep breath, my heart continuing to ram against my chest as Shaurya places his warm hand on my naked thigh. "Hey, you doing alright?"

"What?" I murmur, looking over at him, who has a worried expression plastered on his face. "Oh, yeah, I'm just... processing all of this."

One side of his lip curls up into a genuine smile. "It's alright, take as much time as you want to process everything. I know it's hard to do it, but I promise that in due time you'll be much more relaxed."