Chapter Twenty-Eight ➳ A New Beginning

Anika

The bullet ricochets into the mirror situated between one of the walls, and a massive shatter forms onto the creviced glass. The booming sound followed by the clanging of the falling shards distracted Neil enough for his grip to loosen on Shaurya, so in that time, I ran towards Neil, pushed his chest as much as I could until he stumbled back. And, at that point, Shaurya pulled me back as he simultaneously rammed his fist against his father's face, the sound of a jaw cracking resonating into the air. Silence fell as I saw the limp form of his father on the ground, clutching his face in agony as groans erupted out of him.

"Are you okay?" Shaurya whispers harshly, placing his pale hands on my shoulders. I send him a flabbergasted look, as I set the gun onto the ground. "I think you're asking the wrong person that question. Are you okay, Shaurya?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he speaks hurriedly, looking over at his father. He then kneels beside him, his dark floppy hair falling into his eyes, which resound sadness and despair. His large hands run along his father's arm as he grasps his hand, clutching it tightly. "I did not mean to hurt you, dad. I did not mean to put you through all this stress. I know that, deep down, you want the best for me. That's why you want me to become a businessman, become like you, so you know that my future is secured. I know you really do want the best for me. I know, dad. But... your care and love for me is so much to the point where it's harmful. I mean, look at us now. You choked to me death. You called me terrible names that no child should ever hear. It's hurtful. It's disparaging and ultimately bruises my soul. No parent, let alone father, should ever inflict that towards anyone. That's why mom is going to Seattle, leaving you for good. You were bad upon us, and it's time you dealt with the consequences.

"There's no doubt I won't stop loving you because, above all else, you are my father. You make mistakes, and I am obviously not going to hold you against that. Yet, while I can let your mistakes slide by, I am sure as hell not going to forgive you. While my mind is fine with it, my heart will never be. And you are going to have to live with that."

Shaurya takes a deep breath in as I see a tear trickle down his cheek. His lip wobbles slightly, but he quickly clears his throat. "That's all I have to say for now. And that's all there is for tonight, and possibly for a long time too. Good bye, father." He stands up, his breath wavering as his pleading brown eyes land on me. And with that, I run towards him, my hands immediately wrapping around his neck. His soft breath lands on my shoulder, and his hands curl around my hips, hugging me so tight that I feel complete for once.

I don't know when, but at some point he starts to break down in tears. His breath shakes, his body shakes, as he cries into my shoulder. My heart breaks at hearing Shaurya cry, the son of a billionaire who everyone thinks to have no problems. I myself thought Shaurya was a perfect man with a perfect family and a perfect life. But this night proved to me that even the most flawless of people hold certain flaws in them, but it is those flaws that shape them to be the person they are today. It is those flaws that define them, that mold them into a figure of self-worth and retrospection.

I hug him tighter as his face digs into the nook of my neck, his soft lips grazing across my shoulder. "Thank you, Anika."

I pry my face away to face him. "For what?"

A concise laugh filled with no amusement escapes out of him as he also looks towards me, our faces mere inches from each other. "For saving my life. For making me happy. For holding me. For kissing me. For laughing with me. For sharing with me. And for being with me. Thank you for all of that. It means a lot to me."

A smile forms on my lips as I feel all of my worries rush away. "I will always be here for you, Shaurya."

"I will always be here for you too," he grins as another tear rolls down his cheek.