Chapter Fourteen ➳ Sneaking Into The ICU

Shaurya

I take deep heaving breaths as I finally sit in the car, resting my head against the headrest. Looking from the front view mirror, I see Nathan and Emma looking at me with widen eyes. "Dude, are you okay?!" Nathan shrieks.

"Anika... stretcher... attempted suicide... gonna pass out," I gasp out.

"Wait, what?!" Nathan and Emma both scream at the same time.

"Yeah..." I whisper. "What am I going to do?" I mutter to myself.

"Well, we obviously have to follow them to the hospital," Nathan suggests.

"Yeah, obviously," I breathe out. "But I can't drive. I don't think I can with the thought that Anika attempted suicide," I trail off.

"Bro, it's okay," Nathan peacefully replies. "I'll take over." He turns towards Emma. "Baby, do you mind sitting back here alone?"

"It's okay, baby," Emma gleams. "I don't mind."

He nods his head as my shaky hands open the door. The cool breeze hits my face as I close my eyes, meandering my way to the passenger side door. I pull myself in, lean against the seat and slouch. I can't seem to get the haunting words out of my mind...

Anika Desai...

Hospitalized...

Attempted suicide...

Conspiracy theories start to form in my mind. What if her father caused this? What if he abused her to the point where she just gave up? What if she thought about her mother and got upset?

My heart beats erratically out of my chest as Nathan reverses from the curb. Suddenly, the ambulance zooms past us, blaring loud noises and bright blue and red colors reflecting off of the car's windows. I screech out, "Go! Follow it, NOW!"

"Okay, jeez! I am!" Nathan whines as the car lurches forward. Emma and I screech as our backs hit the seat violently. "Sorry!" Nathan apologizes. I cast Nathan a dirty look as he looks towards the ambulance, following its every move.

We reach the hospital in five minutes, and luckily we managed to get past traffic and all of the traffic lights because, one there isn't much traffic 9 o clock at night here in Oakland, and two there's this rule where we can pass red lights after 9, which is very convenient at this current situation.

Nathan parks the car by the visitor's parking lot as I watch the ambulance drive into the emergency area. I quickly climb out of the car and find myself running to where the ambulance is, but Nathan pulls me back. "Whoa, dude! Where are you going?"

"I'm going to Anika!" I hiss.

"Shaurya, you can't go there," Nathan explains. "It's a confined area."

"Yeah... I know that," I huff out. "I'm sorry. I'm just really nervous right now. I hope she's okay."

"She will be," Emma reassures me. "Just don't fret too much. We're here for you."

"Yeah, man," Nathan claps my back. "Let's just go in to the main entrance and just calmly visit Anika in a nice and disciplined form, okay?"

"Since when do you do anything nice and disciplined?" I reply, a smirk forming on my face.

"I was just about to say that!" Emma giggles and I grin. Nathan rolls his eyes. "You too, babe?"

"Ah, c'mon!" She punches his shoulder. "You know I love you."

Nathan admits defeat and kisses Emma on the cheek. "And you know I love you too," he mumbles. "But let's get going inside!" I sigh to myself, walking forward as I, once again, third wheel with Nathan and Emma.