Chapter Thirteen ➳ The Surprise

Shaurya

"Dude, no! What the actual hell are you doing?!"

"Nathan, calm down! I didn't know you meant to go right!"

"Bro, I've been screaming RIGHT for the past five minutes!"

"I thought that because I was going right, like I was correct!"

Nathan screeches to himself as his car speeds off of the runway, planting itself into the bushes, mainly because of me. I wince in embarrassment as Nathan cusses to himself, tossing the controller across the room. "Goddammit, Shaurya! We were this close to winning!"

"I'm sorry!" I whine. "I won't do this again, I promise."

Nathan takes a deep breath, walking back and forth across the room. "Okay. Fine. I forgive you," he sighs. "I guess I'm just hungry."

I snort as he goes off into the kitchen to possibly grab him a snack. We just got home from college and I am super exhausted. Not only because of my classes, but also because I have a party in two days that I haven't even finished planning for. I think at least hundreds of people are coming, and I'm still not sure if Anika is going to show up. I want her to, but sometimes I feel like she doesn't enjoy my company, or the presence of me or if I'm too annoying or pushy.

Speaking of Anika, I look through my phone to see if I've gotten any text messages from her. I shake my head in angst as I see the last text I got from her was yesterday, asking me how I did on the exam— I got a 90, by the way— but that's basically it.

I miss her.

I know it's only been a couple of hours since I've seen her, but I do miss her. She's just so unforgettable and amazing, how could I ever not miss her?

"Dude!" Nathan screeches from the kitchen. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Um..." I think. I have thought of the perfect idea. "I think I'm gonna skip dinner tonight."

Nathan's head appears from the kitchen. "WHAT?" he booms. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I tell him, standing up. "And you're skipping too."

"The f—" Nathan places his hand on his forehead. "Yo, yo. Let's just take a deep breath here." He comes up to me and places both of his hands on my shoulder. "Are. You. Okay?"

I take a deep breath. "I. Am. Fine."

"Dude!" He moans. "What's going on?"

"Just— stop talking!" I order. He raises his eyebrows at me and I sigh. "Sorry. Just get the car keys."

"But why—"

"Just get them," I hiss. Nathan narrows his eyes at me and then finally admits defeat. "Okay, I will." I smile at him and pat his shoulder. "Thanks, man."

"Yeah, don't mention it," he replies sarcastically.

As Nathan grabs the car keys, I change into something better looking than a black Nike shirt and grey sweatpants. Instead, I wear a nice button down shirt with khaki pants and brush my hair just a little bit because I know Anika likes it when it's messy.

Nathan and I go down to the parking lot where my car is. "Why are you so dressed up?" He asks as we climb into the car.

I take a deep breath and turn to him. "Okay, listen up." I close my eyes and start to speak. "I want to surprise Anika by showing up to her house."

Nathan's eyes widen. "What?!" He shrieks. I jump back in surprise. "What do you mean by what?" I ask. "Is that bad?"

"I mean, it's not bad," he sighs. "It's just— well, I've just never seen you do this for a girl. Hell, I wouldn't even do this for Emma, since we just started dating. And you and Anika aren't even dating each other! Or is there something you're not telling me?" Nathan trails off.